jsharkey

Well Known Member
I have a small number of pins to wire and install in Sub D type connectors. I bought a handy dandy 4 point pin crimper from Stein Air and have a handful of female pins. I also have little plastic insertion and extraction tools.

The questions are:

1. On the female pins which end does the wire get crimped in? The silver end or the brass coloured one with coloured stripes pained in it.

2. How do you use the insertion/extraction tools?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Still Wiring!!!

The wire goes in the end with stripes on it.

For insertion, you really don’t need a tool. Just push it into the connector until it snaps. Give it a little tug to make sure it's seated.

For extraction, push the extraction tool over the wire and pin. It should release the tangs that are holding the pin in. You may have to re-orient it a few times to get the tangs. Then just pull everything out of the connector (pin, wire and extraction tool) at once.

Paige

The colored side of the insertion/extraction tool (the one where the metal part is a half-circle) is used to insert the pin. Most of the time you can just push on the wire until it clicks, but if you've got a bunch of wires or the wires are very small, you can use the insertion tool to push the pin into the hole.

To extract, you use the other end of the tool. Get the metal part wrapped around the wire, push it into the hole as far as it will go, and then pull the whole thing out. It should come out easily; if it doesn't, you probably haven't pushed the tool into the hole far enough to get the pin to release.

PJ
RV-10 #40032

Just a note here: while it is possible to push the pin into place with just the wire, never do it! The failure point is at the wire/pin joint and you can stress it to breaking or almost and never notice ... until the circuit fails to work. Use the insertion tool so the joint remains strong. Unless, of course, you enjoy trouble-shooting connector problems. Yes, most of the time there is no harm pushing it in by the wire, but it only takes one to drive you nuts...