Top_prop

Well Known Member
Howdy!
Been poking around here a little and have a couple question about the rules for building...

I see partially completed kits available, and offers for parts/engines stripped out of wrecked planes... how does this fit with the requirement to log the work and complete atleast 51% of the construction? Are their regulatory pitfalls of buying somebodies partially complete kit? I know there could be construction quality issues.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Last edited:
No such thing....

Welcome Tom!

First, and most important: There's no such thing as a "Stupid Newbie Question". In fact, your question isn't one I'd even expect from a newbie because it requires a great understanding of the spirit of the 51% rule to even think to ask that question!

Second, and still important: There certainly are implications to the rule when you buy someone else's already started project. Hopefully one of the DARs we have on this forum will pitch in and answer better than I can. As for engines and parts from other aircraft, you shouldn't have any problems, assuming you are the one to install them in your aircraft.

Question

Tom:

First of all I love your quote.

I think that if you can honestly sign your name to an affidavit that you have completed 51 percent of the work, then you can get credit for building the airplane and recieve credit as manufacturer of said aircraft.

If you can't, THEN if you can claim credit for your portion along with the portion built by the previous owner and list both as the builders, then you can get an airworthiness certificate.

At that point you would not be able to get credit for being the manufacturer of the aircraft and therfore you would not be able to do the annual Condition Inspection sign offs. That would have to be done by a certified A&P or an A&P with Inspection Authorization.

If I am wrong; Mel et al hopefully will correct me.

'nuther .02..

Mornin' all,
Essentially, the aircraft must be amateur-built and the guys above are correct. The "spirit" of the rule is that the airplane be amateur-built and whether or not you did it all is not that important since the previous owner was also an amateur. A good example is an airplane built by 30 high school kids and their teacher "for educational purposes" as has been done. Only one of them can sign that it was indeed amateur built but it will still fit the "spirit" of the rule.

Wait for Mel/Vern..??

Regards,

Only one of them can sign that it was indeed amateur built but it will still fit the "spirit" of the rule.
Actually all can sign that it was amateur-built. Only one can apply for the repairman certificate. As long as you can show with pictures and builder's log that it was indeed amateur-built, the airworthiness certificate is not a problem.
As far as the repairman certificate, you need to show that that you were the primary builder and can effectively perform the annual condition inspection.