rph142

Well Known Member
For some unkown reason I countersunk the AD3 rivet holes on the rear bottom skin on my rv-3. This skin is .025 which is too thin to be countersunk. I already have the side skin in place so i really really dont want to remove the bottom skin. Im not concerned about the reduced tensile load capability (the bottom skin sees verry little)..its more the shear load capability im concerned about. Also, are these holes going to be more succeptable to stress risers?

OK not a -3 guy so hopefully you will get one to chime in.

But, two options come to mind. Drill and then dimple for an AD4 rivet or make a doubler plate.

NAS107 rivets

rph142 said:
For some unkown reason I countersunk the AD3 rivet holes on the rear bottom skin on my rv-3. This skin is .025 which is too thin to be countersunk. I already have the side skin in place so i really really dont want to remove the bottom skin. Im not concerned about the reduced tensile load capability (the bottom skin sees verry little)..its more the shear load capability im concerned about. Also, are these holes going to be more succeptable to stress risers?

The NAS1097AD4-?? should work with the countersinks you made if you open the holes up to 1/8th" (#30 drill), I will check the dimensions tomorrow at work and make sure.

The head diameter of these is very close to the head dia of the MS20426AD3's, but since the shank is bigger the head depth is less.

they are strong and are used by design in many modern aircraft.

We have these in stock by the 1/4# I suggest you get a few different lengths, you will also be able to use them as fixes when a hole needs to be oversized for whatever reason.