BruceMe

Well Known Member
For two sheets of dimpled .032... AN426AD3-?

I just need to order a bunch and I'd like to be sure.

Let's do the math, just in case I screw up, others can double check.

AN3 rivet diameter = .09375
1.5x diam. = .140

.032 + .032 + (.09375 x 1.5) = .204

AN3-3 = .1875 - .064 = .1235
AN3-3.5 = .2187 - .064 = .1391 looks like a winner....
AN3-4 = .250 - .064 = .186

I would be tempted to try the -3 and see if the shop head will pass. Often dimpled holes will be slightly oversized. At 1.5d protrusion, you might find some cleating over. The -3, which is slightly less than 1.5d protrusion would be easier to set.

trays-o-rivets

My rivet tray has been through several RV builds :D I've lost track of which are the one's for two sheets of .032 and I can't find them anymore. Time to resupply and sort.

Most of the sheet metal to structure on my -7A is held together with AN3-3.5 per Van's plans. I keep at least a 1/4 lb on hand.

As others have said, order a variety and have them ready when needed. You might find another builder/flyer nearby that will add to the order.

And get one of these

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/rivetLengthgauge.php?clickkey=9219

1201534.jpg

Like others said, AN rivets are cheap, get a bunch of each size (if you were doing CherryMax, that might be a bad idea...says the guy who just spent ~$40 on 40 cherry rivets).

I personally just use a ruler for those cases - put the rivet in the hole (without squeezing it), and measure how much protrudes out on the other side.
Once you've done this a few times you'll also be able to tell just by looking (but I'm not going to recommend not checking with a proper measurement device :) ).