gpiney

Well Known Member
OK, First things First.

This is for the '-1' fuselage kit for an RV-8 (not A). The instruction is on page 8-5 and is the third checkbox on the page. It talks about machine countersinking a #30 hole on F-878-L&R-1.

Which #30 hole are they talking about. They refer you to DWG 62 'L.G. Box Installation'. There are 2 #30 holes at the aft end. One is by the 'Do Not Install Nutplate' arrow and the other is next to a 3/16th hole pointed to by 'F-878-L-1 Mid Cabin Brace' arrow. There is no indication on the drawing of which hole is to be countersunk. And what do they mean by 'underneath'.

Help Please.
Pictures Welcome.

Assemble and you'll see

I struggled with this at first also. If you cleco the mid-cabin brace onto the LG box, you'll notice that one hole is partially covered by the mid-cabin brace, and as such, a universal rivet won't fit. I have a photo but don't remember my photoshack login and can't post it right now. Send me your email address and I'll send it along. You can PM me if you prefer.

Good luck

Found the PW, hope this works...
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Bart,

The instructions talk about a countersunk #30 in the F878-L&R not the box I see the rivet you are talking about. I do not think they are the same.
To send me an email, just click on my name at the top of my post.

UNDER 878-L/R-1

The instructions refer to the one hole UNDER the 878-L/R-1 mid-cabin brace that is actually IN the aft side 802B-L/R-1 aft LG bulkhead. That is the hole with the small red arrow in the picture above, just beside the notch.

It is slightly between the 878 mid-cabin brace and the LG box. When they say "Under," it is actually almost sandwiched between. That's the only countersunk #30 hole on the aft side of the LG box. The instructions only reference one countersunk#30 hole in the aft side of 802B, so if you've already countersunk it, you're done.

Another gotcha is that the instructions tell you to rivet the LG box assembly together. Before starting, note ALL of the holes the mid-cabin brace will occupy, all the way across, and it will keep you from drilling a couple out later, when you actually install the mid-cabin brace.

Last edited: