butch

Well Known Member
As I am getting closer to finishing an RV7, I figured it was time to complete training and obtain a private pilot's license. Not wanting to do the norm, I purchased an RV4 and was able to get insurance knowing that I am just a student. Yippee! In short order I was able to solo (3 weeks ago). Last Fri I pasted my written and if progress continues, I hope to complete my cross countries in the next week and on to my flight review. I will keep everybody informed.

Background....I flew ultralights for a number of years and worked my way into a Titan Tornado. The reason for the post is to motivate others that might be in my situation. I always looked at the private pilot ticket as being such a dilemna. After buying an RV4 and getting an instructor I pushed through at a rapid rate. The RV4 is an incredible airplane and people don't need to be scared of it.

Jim (Butch)
Purchased RV4 and Flying - 30 hours
RV7 working on finishing kit - 360 constant speed prop

Congrats and good job!!. And I thought it was hard to find transition training!! It's awesome you found someone to give primary in the -4.

X-country required for pp-sel in the 4 will take what, 40 minutes? No time to even make a flight log or drift off course at RV speeds. Better make it 400 miles and turn off the gps :p

Congratulations

Great, just great.
My buddy is in almost the exact same situation as you with his -4 almost done and he is a student pilot with 250 or so hours in Titans, Zenith CH 100 and a few dual in my -6A. This will definitely be very encouraging for him to read, not that he's worried but having someone like you to read about is great.

Congratulations,
Pierre

I had zero hours when I bought my -6 kit, and had never even had a ride in one. I started flight training in a Citabria 7ECA about a year into the build process and eventually got my private in that Citabria about three years ago. I recently made first flight in my -6 and today have about 33 hours on the bird. Awesome machines, these RV's.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6 finally flying...

Update.....I'm officially a private pilot! I received my license on 10/3. To everyone out there that is working on their license, it is a lot of work, but it can be done! I did it in 2 months, I used my RV4 during all the flight time. I've had some inquiries regarding insurance and instructing. The insurance co that wrote a policy on the RV4 with me as a student pilot is Aerospace Insurance Managers Inc out of Dallas, TX. The broker's name that found the policy is Mark Sjostrom. His # is 800-536-2011. He works for Forest Agency Inc. He is open to hearing from anyone that has insurance needs and would do his best to accommodate insurance needs.

Another piece of useful info for you fellow RV'ers....my instructor was Joe Dooley out of Hutchinson, MN. His # is 320-583-7513. He is open to doing transition training to RV's. He personally owns and flies a F1 Rocket and performs airshows through the summer months in a Pitts. So if anyone is looking for tailwheel endorsement or transition training or possible first flights, he would be good to contact.

Butch
Hutchinson, MN
RV4 flying and For Sale - $45000
RV7 working on finishing kit

This is a photo taken the day I passed my check ride. As you can see the day was even more special because a P38 owned Fagen (local gentleman) flew in! Just for me (JK) :cool:

img01191bl2.jpg