Mark95472

I'm New Here
I'll be taking my RV-9A from STS to OSH in July for the first time, and was thinking of following Route 80 most of the way. I'd appreciate any comments from those experienced with this trip, and suggtestions for alternative routes that others prefer.

Thanks,

Mark
RV-9A
RV942WG

Best Route

Mark, I usually go to Wendover (good place to spend the night), Then towards Rock Springs, then from there towards Scotts Bluff or Rapid City. I always leave early to avoid rough air and storms. From SLC area to Nebraska you will probably want to be at 11'500 or till the terrain gets lower. Give me a call if you have any more questions. Steve

I-80 route

My son and I flew the route roughly along I-80 last year on my first OSH trip (RV or otherwise) and would do same again, weather permitting, if I could go again this year. We got fogged in until after 10:00 am the morning we left the Bay area so ended up over the Nevada and Utah high country in the hot afternoon....a little on the rough side, so agree with flying early if at all possible, and O2 to fly higher would help too (we did it without O2 so flew that part at 11,500').
Rawlins, WY is another great place to overnight. Reasonable hotels within walking distance if another OSH bound pilot gets to the FBO's courtesy car first. We stayed there in both directions.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Hey Mark, first post I see.

Welcome to the good ship VAF.

Good to have you here.

Sorry, cant help with a route----although the idea of following hwy 80 should do pretty well, IMHO