hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
A while ago on this forum there was discussion about painting the spinner in alternating colors because it was believed, by some, that it would scare birds away. I have a three blade, so my white spinner is 1/3 gold, the color of the accent stripe on the airplane.

It's spring in Michigan and the birds are out in force. I saw a small one, perhaps a swallow, suddenly dive straight down about 100' in front of me and slightly to the right but within the span of my wing. My view is that he was avoiding me. I don't remember seeing that kind of behavior before. I've seen a lot of birds where I live and swallows do a lot of wonderful aerobatics, but I don't think this this bird was looking for bugs at 6000'. I don't know what he was doing that high, come to think of it.

For me, it is evidence that the strobe effect worked. It's certainly not proof, but it was encouraging. The whole event was much faster than my reflexes, let alone the roll rate of the airplane.

we did that on our -9...

painted the spinner about 28% (if i recall correctly) gloss white, the rest bright red. first flight ought to be in the next month or so, and even if the birds don't respond correctly we think it looks really cool!

P1090008.JPG

An example, from a local flight museum.

strobe or not, vis is good

I think the segmented spinner won't truly strobe in sunlight, but at least catches your attention....as useful for keeping pedestrians from walking into your prop as for bird repulsion?
....I think the spiral pattern seen on some Me109's or others creates a more distincitve effect for getting birds attention, but who knows, maybe they're even color-blind!?!?

I did that on the spinner of my four. I'm certain that it works. I visit a lot of grass strips, and have noticed the birds see and avoid much better now. Used to be close call after close call. Now, it's almost a non event...
Oddly enough, the big predator birds will move, but it almost seems like it's grudgingly... They move just enough. The little birds scatter...

YMMV

Birds see better than humans

Birds see colors better than humans and see flicker rates up to about 5 times faster than humans. For them to see the flicker of a full speed prop painted two colors is well with in their ability to see flicker rates. Humans will see it on a prop at idle speeds but above that it turns to a blur.

I painted mine about three years and 300 hrs ago. No close calls with birds since then. I had two close encounters before painting. Yes, I think it works.

....I think the spiral pattern seen on some Me109's or others creates a more distincitve effect for getting birds attention, but who knows, maybe they're even color-blind!?!?- flyboy1963

Huh? Why would being color blind make pattern recognition worse? Being color blind usually increases contrast and detail recognition.

did anyone mention prop tips?

Surely contrast is most important; you can still follow your ship's colour scheme if there are contrasting elements.
I've seen some tips painted to alternate the black/white pattern on the opposite end.
Ie; [ BLACK/white ---------- ( 0 ) ---------- black/WHITE ]

..on a 2 blade.....

Do you think this is useful as well ?

I had one on my Pitts...and it worked great....I have before and after experiences @ the same aiport with birds and it made a huge difference....(we have a bad neighbor disposing deer carcasses at the airport porperty line) I personally do reccomend this as a must!

misc3-4-2011030.jpg

I cant wait to put the same cone paintjob on the Giles 202

Last edited:
Uh oh Mitch!! .. it's a matter of time before you get a demerit here for posting a pic when doing aerobatics over a populated area and below an "unsafe" altitude. :p

Uh oh Mitch!! .. it's a matter of time before you get a demerit here for posting a pic when doing aerobatics over a populated area and below an "unsafe" altitude. :p

cammera angle playing tricks on you ....besides inside my Approved box. but you are right..(photo deleted to eliminate any controversy (SHAME) ...