Craig23

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to decide which lighting system to use in my RV-8 project. I'm thinking about the Kuntzleman system that they design for the new Van's wingtips, but have never seen them other than on their website. Does anyone have a picture they can post of this system installed in their RV?

Thanks,

Strobe Lights

I used Whelen strobes for emergency vehicles. Much cheaper than aircraft units. Go here ... http://www.reiffpreheat.com/RV4.htm . If you scroll down to the bottom there are a couple photos of my strobes and LED nav lights.

Bob,

I read you comments on wing tip strobes. Do you have the P/N of the Whelen strobe lights system that you used on your RV. I would like to install something similar on my RV9.

Thank, John

Nice System

Bob,

Thanks for the photos. I like the looks of your lighting system. I had a question about the socket you're using for the LED lights, though. I tried to search for the part number you gave on the NAPA web site and couldn't find it. Does the socket base screw onto the wingtip?

Bob,

Thanks for the photos. I like the looks of your lighting system. I had a question about the socket you're using for the LED lights, though. I tried to search for the part number you gave on the NAPA web site and couldn't find it. Does the socket base screw onto the wingtip?

I special ordered it from the local NAPA store, it was in their catalog but not stocked. They have many pages of auto light sockets in the book. I wanted one for 1156 bulbs, with a flange for flush mounting, and screw terminals for both wires. Most have one wire, with ground to chassis/airframe, I didn't want that.

Bob-
I too thank you for the option. The Whelen link on your page doesn't go anywhere though (at least when I click on it). It says "your cart is empty". I assume that means that the link you provide is to your specific cart, which only you can access. Can you check that? The big concern is whether the strobe power supply can meet the FAR flashes per minute requirement. Most automotive flashers are too fast, I think. It would be nice to find one that's not.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Whelen

Bob-
I too thank you for the option. The Whelen link on your page doesn't go anywhere though (at least when I click on it). It says "your cart is empty". I assume that means that the link you provide is to your specific cart, which only you can access. Can you check that? The big concern is whether the strobe power supply can meet the FAR flashes per minute requirement. Most automotive flashers are too fast, I think. It would be nice to find one that's not.
Thanks again.

Worked on my puter yesterday but not today?????????

Try www.strobesnmore.com

Bob-
Thanks again.

Hmmm, don't know what happened there but I've changed the link to this http://www.lshlights.com/AMAZING/itemdesc.asp?ic=s690cccc

It's the 90 w strobe kit. Note they list several types of strobe tubes. This kit comes with 4 of the HA238 type tubes which have a 2 screw flange just like aircraft strobes.

Aircraft strobes are rated in candles. These cop units don't give the candle rating, but the power supply is 90w which is more than most of the aircraft power supplies I looked at. The biggest one I see in the ACS book is a 4 bulb Whelen unit, 98 watts, $377.

I'm running 3 strobes off it (both wing tips plus the tail, Whelen A500 position & strobe).

The flash rate is adjustable via a choice of 10 patterns. Some are quite fast, but others are more "airplane-like". I set it to alternate a double flash on the wing tips, then the tail. I'd guess about 2 sec per cycle but have not timed it.

Good luck.

LED Wiring

Bob,

Did you just run your power and ground wires to the led sockets, or did you have to put anything else in the circuit? I've seen others talk about power supplies for their led lights.

Thanks,