dnimigon

I may have missed it somewhere in my reading but where is the best place to position the strobe.

Working on Empennage

I think most people also go with a white/strobe combo unit for the bottom of the rudder as well. That's my plan anyway ;)

Tail Strobe

I have strobes in my wingtips, but since they're not visible from the rear, I also have a combination tail light / strobe.

You can get these from Vans or Aircraft Spruce, among other places.
Mine is from KE Strobes, and is a LED/Strobe combo.

Maybe you're considering adding an extra strobelights in addition to the wingtip-strobes. Some builders put one on top of the fin which is a bad idea if you intend to fly at night. You'll get blinded by your own strobelight.

The function of a strobelight is to be seen in the air which is important in a fast aircraft such as an RV. However, a strobe or rotating beacon is also used to warn people on the ramp that you're about to start your engine. Nav lights are difficult to see (during the day) and using your bright white wingtipstrobes on the ground is bad airmanship:mad::cool:, now you're blinding other people. White winbtip and tailstrobes are "runway items", switch 'm on when entering the runway for take-off and when crossing an active runway and switch 'm off after vacating the runway.

The solution is to add a red rotating beacon or red belly strobe. Put it in a position where others can see it when you're starting your engine. May be difficult to find such a spot on a taildragger. Leave it on from start-up to switch off.

Strobes

Thanks for the info. I have bought the light package from Van's and have seen a few posts regarding the strobe on the top of the tail to interfere with vision at night. I understand that. I see from some pics of others while looking around. people mount them on the bottom part of the rudder. Is this the usual place to have them. It is the combination strobe/tail light from Van's that's sold in there LN-SYS6. I may have missed it but is there a bracket assembly or some documentation for how this is to be mounted.

tail/strobe light

Thanks for the info. I have bought the light package from Van's and have seen a few posts regarding the strobe on the top of the tail to interfere with vision at night. I understand that. I see from some pics of others while looking around. people mount them on the bottom part of the rudder. Is this the usual place to have them. It is the combination strobe/tail light from Van's that's sold in there LN-SYS6. I may have missed it but is there a bracket assembly or some documentation for how this is to be mounted.
Mounts just like the tail light does. Many threads on VAF on installation with some very good ideas and pictures.
Mike H 9A/8a

Is the tail light strobes in the bottom of the rudder called a horizontal or vertical strobe? I'd call it vertical but I want to make sure before I order one today.