rsteenbock

I'm New Here
I want to put a strobe on either the vertical fin or fuselage. I would like it to be as aerodynamic as possible. Anyone know what the best choices are?

strobe

I use a streamlined lens and light from a wingtip light assembly. This is mounted in a homemade bracket on the top of the fin. Power supply from ebay the light from the fly market at Oshkosh. Total cost under $100. Not on an RV but I have seen similar setups on several RV's.

If you plan on flying at night ....

... most of the experienced pilots out there say don't put a strobe on top of the VS. With the RVs' bubble canopies, the light will drive you crazy. An RV is very unlike a Piper or a Cessna where the roof blocks out much of the night flash. OTOH, strobes on the aft rudder tip or wingtips work great.

Van's sells two kinds of bottom rudder tips. One has provisions for a light and the other does not. Your choice.

Of course if you opt for the lighted version then you've got to figure out how to carry the wiring forward and allow for removing the rudder if necessary.

Dave

Light reading...

I want to put a strobe on either the vertical fin or fuselage. I would like it to be as aerodynamic as possible. Anyone know what the best choices are?
RS,
First, welcome to VAF! I mounted a single white strobe on my RV4s VS in 89" per the RV4 plans (and the F-16). I flew over 200 hours at night with none of the above mentioned distraction. The strobe is invisible to the pilot if mounted just fwd of the rudder. The top of the VS is angled and occludes the fwd flash. On my RVX I wanted economical, light weight LED strobes. I installed the Z-Tron labs wingtip lights inside Vans cut outs and an LED taillight bulb from ACS. They work very well and I have verified 20NM visibility from another Acft. FYI

V/R
Smokey
Dues gladly paid in Iraq...
Gladly paid to DR anyway...

Last edited:
I use a streamlined lens and light from a wingtip light assembly. This is mounted in a homemade bracket on the top of the fin. Power supply from ebay the light from the fly market at Oshkosh. Total cost under $100. Not on an RV but I have seen similar setups on several RV's.

Not exactly legal if you want to meet the FAA light output guidelines.

The glass cover is actually a lens and concentrates the light in a horizontal plane when used correctly on a wing tip.

Rotated 90 degrees it will concentrate the light forwards, rearwards and vertically up (wasted by FAA specs.)

Your choice though...