speyers

Well Known Member
Have been looking into strobes for my wing kit and was wondering about the cost/benifit ratio of strobes. I see that Vans recommends a power pack for each strobe mounted in the wing tips. Other people like Creative Air have only one powerpack. Would like to save the weight and use just one pack but will I run into strobe noise in the headset if I do? Curious about the "long run" from the cabin out to the wing tips and if I will get some negative headset noise. Advice or comments would be appreciated.

speyers said:
Have been looking into strobes for my wing kit and was wondering about the cost/benifit ratio of strobes. I see that Vans recommends a power pack for each strobe mounted in the wing tips. Other people like Creative Air have only one powerpack. Would like to save the weight and use just one pack but will I run into strobe noise in the headset if I do? Curious about the "long run" from the cabin out to the wing tips and if I will get some negative headset noise. Advice or comments would be appreciated.
We don't have any such problem in the Cardinal. I suggest making sure the Avionics are shielded and grounded to a central point, that should prevent the noise problem.

Yes

speyers said:
Curious about the "long run" from the cabin out to the wing tips and if I will get some negative headset noise. Advice or comments would be appreciated.

We have the Creativair strobes. They're really bright and perform flawlessly but we get a beep....beeep...noise in the headsets, even with ANR, while they operate. It's hard to hear in flight but is noticeable on the ground. I sure would like to know how to filter it out though.

Regards,

strobe noise

Most strobe instructions tell you to ground the shields at the wingtips OR the power supply, BUT NOT BOTH. I'd use the method that works best, radio wise, so try both ways.

pierre smith said:
We have the Creativair strobes. They're really bright and perform flawlessly but we get a beep....beeep...noise in the headsets, even with ANR, while they operate. It's hard to hear in flight but is noticeable on the ground. I sure would like to know how to filter it out though.
The ANR has nothing to do with this thing. I quess it would be best if someone experienced with grounding would check yours. It can be challenging to fix things but there may be clear faults which could be fixed easily as well.