ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
Last night I did some repair on my trim system and installed the new REL-2 relay, went up for a quick flight and noticed my wing strobe lights not working. Got back to hanger, pulled the wingtips and everything looked fine. Pulled the rear fuselage bulkhead and everything looked well connected. My rudder strobe is still working but I find it hard to believe that both wing strobes went out. I have it set up so that the rudder strobe fires, then both wing tips.

Anyone out there that can help trouble shoot this? I'm suspecting the power supply. Is there a way to check that the wing strobes are OK? I guess I can plug them into the rudder strobe outlet. Was wondering if there was a way to use a multimeter to check strobe lights? I have 221 hours on the plane. How long should the strobe light last? Noticed Van's sells replacements for $66. OK, that is enough with the questions.

Tried calling Whelen but I just get voicemail boxes. You guys are way smarter anyway.

BE CAREFUL!

First of all be very careful testing strobe power supplies. If they are charging up and the strobes aren't firing, you are deal with some VERY high voltage potential.

FIRST, AS MEL POINTS BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THE POSSIBLE HIGH VOLTAGE.
I ASSUME THAT YOU HAVE THE WING TIP STROBES FIRING TOGETHER AND THE TAIL SEPERATE. IF THIS IS THE CASE, TRY DISCONNECTING ONE OF THE WING STROBES (AT THE SUPPLY). IF NO-JOY, TRY DOING THE OTHER STROBE WITH THE FIRST ON RECONNECTED. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT ONE OF THE LINES OR LIGHT IS SHORTED TAKING BOTH LINES DOWN. YOU COULD ALSO TRY FIRING THE WING STROBES OFF THE LINE(S) THAT FEED THE TAIL STROBE. THIS SHOULD TELL IF IT'S THE POWER SUPPLY OR SOMETHING ELSE IN THE WIRING.

GOOD LUCK

Mel said:
First of all be very careful testing strobe power supplies. If they are charging up and the strobes aren't firing, you are deal with some VERY high voltage potential.

That is why I have not tried anything yet. I'm sure I am not the first to travel this road and if it is 99% of the time the power supply, then I will start there, but if I should suspect the strobes, then I can order those. Just looking for any past experiences people have had.

Like I mentioned before, I feel that it is related to the power supply since both my wing strobes are not working. I find it difficult to believe that both wing strobes would go bad at once. I plan on checking for any shorts in the wires going to the strobes first. Then I plan on plugging each strobe light into the one that is currently firing.