n38139

Well Known Member
I just bought an RV-4 and it has the old style wing tips with landing lights under a plexiglass lens on the forward edge. I think it is a standard Van's design. It also has the nav lights inside the plexiglass also but they aren't standard type nav lights. My question is do you also put strobes inside or do you put them on the outside attached to the wingtip? Photos would be helpful.

thanks

You can do most any thing that will fit and meet the intent of the FARs.
I have the old style RV-8 wing tips, I bought VANs inserts for flush lights. Cutting them into the tips added lots of work time. Maybe 'next time' I'll use the simpler external type that don't need a tail light or strobe.
I've mananged to carve down KILL-A-CYCLE's combo postion LED lights, fit some NOVA strobes and have room for the landing /taxi lights.
I understand the landing / taxi lights in the tip is a compromise, but I wanted to try it before I cut into the wing for the Duckworks style landing / taxi lights.
Search this forum, and the net for 'RV Nav Lights' and other search variations, there are lots of choices.