Paul Austin

HI
I have just connected my skyview system and also got my strobes connected and when i turn the strobes on i get a five degree swing on my skyview compass:mad:. I have the strobe behind the baggage compartment on the vans mount and i have the ADAHRS mount behind the baggage compartment in the top of the fuselage there is about 18" approx between them.Has anyone else had this problem??? and any suggestions to fix it.

You don't mention how your wiring is arranged. Any item which is a potential emf interference should have parallel wiring runs minimized. Make sure you don't have the wiring from the strobes and the compass in a common run, particularly the high output wiring from the power supply to the strobes. Where the wiring from the two intersect, cross the two as close to 90 degrees as possible and provide adequate distance before turning to run parallel. I've also read in these forums (and I think in the aerolectric manual) that use of a common ground point for wiring is preferred over grounding locally and using the airframe to conduct the ground to minimize the interference. I made this a practice on my airplane and had no issues.

Wiring

My wiring runs down either side of the center control tunnel stobes and power wires on one side dynon network and other sensors on the other they do cross at one point it is at 90 degress but they a fairly close. Is it more likley to be in the wiring or the two units being to close.
Brantel it is a complete whelen strobe system.

Paul,

You may want to post this on the Skview discussion thread on the Dynon Support web forum.

I am sure your frustrated and you did a fine job of installing your system.

Here's what I would do in your situation.

1. double check the continuity to ground for all my strobe shields.
2. using a hand held compass, see if there is a real magnetic interference coming from the PS.
3. Remove the mounting hardware from the ADAHRS and in hand, move it further from the PS. See if a few inches makes a difference.
4. Disconnect one strobe at a time and note the affect.

Last edited:
strobe interference

Still struggling with the strobe system interference. I think it is coming from the power supply and the ADAHRS being to close as far as i can tell it is not being picked up in the wiring. Is there a different power supply i can get that has less EMI?? anyone got any other ideas as i dont wont to have to move anything and even if i do i am struggling to find other suitable position as i thought this was the best spot:mad::mad:

Is there a different power supply i can get that has less EMI??

We used an "AVI-PAK" from NOVA in the RV-8 and it's mounted under the rear baggage compartment panels. The Dynon magnetometer is at least a couple feet away, mounted up high off a bulkhead about 2/3 the way down the tailcone. When the strobes are switched on, there's a very small bit of deflection on the Dynon's heading, but not enough to be any problem. Also, no strobe noise in the intercoms either.

We used the big Whelen A413 PS in the RV-10, and it's also at least a couple feet away from the Dynon magnetometer. It swings the heading quite noticeable, but less than 5 degrees, and you can hear it a little bit thru the intercom.

Wiring for the strobe power, and the magnetometer are separated as far as possible along the left/right outboard sides of each of these two aircraft... along the sides in the -10, and under the floors of the -8.

From what I have experienced thus far, the AVI-PAK seems to be a very well shielded strobe power supply unit.

While a common ground is good, I found I had to groun my power pack and wire shield at the power pack so I didn't hear it on the radio. The shield was only grounded on one end and that too was at the power pack.

I have the AVI-PAK in my RV7A with the GRT magnetometers mounted up on top behind the luggage compartment with just about Zero interference from the strobes I have tested mine during calibration and with all the electrical component on/off, I get about 1 degree deflection at times.

On your strobe wiring, make sure you have grounded the ground wire only at one end, otherwise you will have a ground loop.

AVI-PAK

Anyone know if the avi-pak power supplies are still avalible and where to get them. It might be worth a try with a different PS.

The strobe power supply most likely had an inductor or a transformer inside. The pulsating magnetic field can cause all kinds of problems with magnetically sensitive equipment. One method to determine if the magnetic field is the cause of your problem is to hold a one or two square foot piece of steel sheet between the power supply and the device. If the problem goes away you will need to relocate the power supply or the sensitive equipment.

The only time I see any value in common point grounding is when there are a number of devices in close proximity , an avionics stack for example, and then only because it is more convenient to do so. Running ground wires from one of the airplane to a common ground point does nothing to improve the functionality of the electrical/avionics systems, unless the airframe is fiberglass or the equipment ground connection is poor done.