glider4

Well Known Member
I went through some past threads and can't find any discussion about the best strobe flash pattern. I am ready to pull wires to the strobe power supply and need to decide which pattern to use. I only have two choices - double flash or quad flash. I don't want to mess with changing flash patterns. What are folks using?

I had the same decision problem. I ended up with a independently rebuilt Whelen double flash system. IMHO the double flash is obviously shorter than the Comet or four flash system but the double seems so much brighter for those two flashes. The four flash unit peters out near the end. I even went out to the airport at night to compare. I ended up with the independently rebuilt Whelen unit after I tried first to buy a new one, (not available) then tried to have one repaired by Whelen. They said the parts were obsolete and there was no way they would repair it. That info cost me 50 bucks and the unit was only a few years old. Makes me wonder how long they support their products. Looking back I should have gone with another manufacture and may yet.

flash pattern

I was just about to post about the same thing.
I have the strobes n more system and I did install a momentary contact switch in the aft baggage near the power supply. With this system there are 15 flash patterns and you cycle thru them with the switch.
I have the airplane completely assembled in my basement, with all the strobe cables terminated at the power supply. Then I ran the wing cables out the fuselage but on top of the wing as the wings still need to come off for transport to airport. I then connected all the strobe lights and powered up the system. Everything worked including the cycling switch.
Now to figure out the best flash pattern.

I installed the CreativAir AviPak system, and I couldn't decide, either. I finally put a toggle switch on the panel that allows the selection of either a double or quad flash.

From observing airplanes at night, I've come to the conclusion that I like the quad flash better. Radio towers and obstructions usually flash just once, and REILs and other airport-based lighting usually flash once or twice. But nothing I've ever seen flashes four times except an airplane. It really gets your attention, in my experience.

Quad flash pattern it is!

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll go with the quad flash pattern. I'm using a Nova REG480 strobe power supply to drive Whelen strobe/position lights in the wingtips & tail. While the Nova documentation says you have 8 flash pattens to choose from, it you use 3 strobes you can only select from quad and double flash patterns. I'll be very happy to get these last few wires & an ELT antenna lead in place so I'll be done crawling around inside the rear fuselage.

Al Thomas
N880AT
RV-8A QB
Wires, wires, wires and even more wires