PeteP

Well Known Member
I am planning to mount my strobe power supply aft of the baggae compartment on one of the Vans brackets. Has anyone used this configuration and how did you route the wing tip strobe cables forward to main spar root area? There is no way that cables will go in the existing two bushings on the baggage bulhead and aft spar carry thru. Looks like I need to drill a hole and put another bushing in the aft baggage bulkhead and the aft spar carry thru on both sides to route the cables forward. I have no talked to Vans about this and was curious to know if anyone knows of a better way.

Last edited:
If I were building today, I would install LED strobes and nav lights and do away with the strobe packs. Not only are LED's lighter but there is much less chance of them introducing noise into the audio system AND they last much longer.

Just my $.02

Mine are on the bracket behind the baggage bulkhead. I did install a second grommet on each side of the tunnel then another in the tunnel. They cables go into the grommet in the bulkhead by the tunnel then into the tunnel. They fit fine. They are routed to a terminal block under the pilots and passengers seats respectively. That way they are easily disconnected from the terminal block to remove wings if necessary. I have had no problem with electrical interference.

It is a Whalen (sp?) strobe with outputs for tail, and both wings. Since I had the strobe for 10 years before the plane flew, I used it. Today, I would also go with LEDs, but the investment was made and they work just fine.

Mine are on the bracket behind the baggage bulkhead. I did install a second grommet on each side of the tunnel then another in the tunnel. They cables go into the grommet in the bulkhead by the tunnel then into the tunnel. They fit fine. They are routed to a terminal block under the pilots and passengers seats respectively. That way they are easily disconnected from the terminal block to remove wings if necessary. I have had no problem with electrical interference.

It is a Whalen (sp?) strobe with outputs for tail, and both wings. Since I had the strobe for 10 years before the plane flew, I used it. Today, I would also go with LEDs, but the investment was made and they work just fine.

Similar, but I put the disconnect at the wing root. I considered the LED strobes at the time I was putting them in but there was a LOT of dust in the air about whether or not they would meet FAA requirements, RF noise, prices all over the place, inconsistent lifetimes, etc etc... so I went with traditional strobes. If (when) the strobes die in the future I'll look real hard at the LED's again.

LEDs

Thanks for the input. Yes the LED strobes do seem nice and I really like the low power drain but... when I bought the partial kit from the first buyer he already had the conventional Whelen strobe kit in the deal.

Mounted behind baggage bulkhead, left side with connectors facing down using Van's mounting plate. Left wing cable runs along the fuselage through the lower left baggage bulkhead where I place a hole and snap bushing, then through another hole and snap bushing in the lower left bulkhead behind the left seat and then then out to the wing without disconnects. Right wing cable goes back along the fuselage to the next bulkhead aft of the baggage bulkhead then along that bulkhead to the left side and runs along the left side similar to right. Aft cable runs back to same bulkhead then through the hole and snap bushings in the bulkheads. This arrangement is working fine with no interference.