bacstabber

Well Known Member
Friend
I have two stripped AN-365 nuts on my tie down because I over torqued them with my new torque wrench. Now I have the two nuts that I can't loosen or tighten. On the CDI wrench, I expected a loud "Click" sound but only got a bending of the handle at the head. First question...is this normal for click torque wrenches in general or is this just how the CDI works?

My noviced belief is that these nuts need to be replaced but do they really? They seem to be secure and don't want to come off anyway. If they do need to be replaced, I need some advise on how to remove these nuts.

Thank you for your help...

Jack

This is normal. You'll get a more pronounced click starting at around 45 in/lbs. The trick with torquing is to go super slow as you approach the proper torque. You'll then be able to feel it click. 99% of the time I'm using a torque wrench, I can't hear what's going on anyway, so the click is useless (I'm a software engineer, but I end up with wrenches, scopes and soldering irons in my hands at work more than you'd think, and it's always in loud environments it seems)

Some wrenches click much louder. Personally like the CDI.

Why can't you removes the nut? Are the threads stripped, or is the outside of the nut stripped? I would say that if you overtorqued something enough that ANYTHING stripped, it probably needs to be replaced. If it's the threads, and the nut just spins when you try to remove it, try this:

Have someone on the nut side of the spar push firmly on the bolt shank with a punch. Then try unscrewing the bolt. You'll probably need to hold the nut with a wrench while doing this. Don't go nuts...it's either going to work or it's not. If it works, great. If not, just aimlessly spinning the bolt will eventually start chewing up the holes.

Last edited:
IMHO it should be replaced... Though those particular ones (IIRC) aren't exactly structural.

PS. I'm not a big fan of torque wrenches that don't tell you when you get desired torque.. regardless of manufacturer. Love my KD Tools wrench (5-50 in/lbs) as you'd have to be deaf to miss the torque.

Radomir said:
IMHO it should be replaced... Though those particular ones (IIRC) aren't exactly structural.
that's true, but they become structural if your poor RV is stuck out in a wind storm or thunderstorm! that is, if you want to keep your RV's structure in tact! :D i'd cut 'em with a dremel and replace 'em, no big deal.

ANY stripped bolt or nut needs to be replaced. If all else fails, you can grind off the bolt head. I just had to do that on an O320 air box during an annual condition inspection. Be very carefull not to damage surrounding structure.
Mel...DAR

Thanks to everybody who replied to my qustion. I used the Dremel tool to cut off most of the nut. This way I avoided damage tot he spar. The rest of the nuts easily separated from the bolt with normal unscrewing.