petersb

Well Known Member
I have a raspberrypi ver3 running the latest Stratux very nicely on my ipad using Wifi.

I need a serial output so I can connect it to my GRT HXr.

I have an 8GB SD card and used Win32Imagewriter to load the original stratux onto the SD card. ( I notice after loading the stratux the 8 GB card is now FAT and 59.9MB max )

GRT says to load the "stratux-serial..." version, connect a monitor and follow instructions to finish the install. I did this the same as above, it replaces the original stratux version with the serial port version.

When I boot up with the monitor connected all I get is a colored square on the monitor.

I know I am omitting a critical step that people are assuming I am doing, assume nothing and tell me how to do it step by step, leave nothing how trivial out.

Thanks Peter

Hi Peter, I did this last week. I found, as you did, the version indicated in the GRT doco would not boot on a pi 3. What I did was use the version that does run on the pi 3, and just include the small amount of code to make the serial port work, then run "make" and "make install" to get it to work. You need a supported USB to serial port.
You can get the code for serialout version from the github by doing a compare of the master and the serialout fork. Edit the three affected files in /root/stratux/main. Then run "make" check for errors, then "make install". Make sure you set your baud rate in the code before the make.

PM me if you cant follow this..

Cheers.

Bruce.

Hi Peter, I did this last week. I found, as you did, the version indicated in the GRT doco would not boot on a pi 3. What I did was use the version that does run on the pi 3, and just include the small amount of code to make the serial port work, then run "make" and "make install" to get it to work. You need a supported USB to serial port.
You can get the code for serialout version from the github by doing a compare of the master and the serialout fork. Edit the three affected files in /root/stratux/main. Then run "make" check for errors, then "make install". Make sure you set your baud rate in the code before the make.

PM me if you cant follow this..

Cheers.

Bruce.

Bruce thanks for your reply, looks like I'm not going mad.

I am reasonably computer literate but have no experience with raspberry Pi, so your instructions unfortunately are Greek to me. I will try to find a local expert to help.

Is it possible for you to send me a copy of the completed running software ?

The USB/ Serial I tried was USA19-HSN Tripplite

How do I make the comparison, do I do that on my laptop or on the Pi, I cannot load two programs on the Pi at the same time to do a comparison. At this point you have probably realized I have no idea how to implement your instructions, even though I appreciate your efforts in helping.

Will be at Oshkosh and can drop by GRT if it is possible to leave a copy there.

Regards. Peter

Peter, The pi is linux. I am happy to make you an image. I'm not sure about the USB adapter you have, but will check. Do you know what serial speed you need for the GRT?
Will need a couple of days.

Not going to Osh.

Cheers.

Bruce.

Peter, The pi is linux. I am happy to make you an image. I'm not sure about the USB adapter you have, but will check. Do you know what serial speed you need for the GRT?
Will need a couple of days.

Not going to Osh.

Cheers.

Bruce.

Bruce, thanks for your help. GRT says to set baud rate at 38400.

Also they say to set "serial out port" as "stratux" , however there is no stratux option, they suggest it may require a software patch but I cannot find one in their website, do you have it for the HXr ? I will also check with GRT

Peter

Peter

Last edited:
Hi Peter, The Stratux makes generic GDL90 so the GRT should work.
I have compiled the latest Stratux and added the serialout from the github.
It sends at 38400 on serial port /dev/ttyUSB0.

I dont have my SDR or USB adapter so I cant test the whole setup.

The only thing you will need to check is your "USB to serial" adapter gets configured as /dev/ttyUSB0 on the pi. Just suck it and see. You can test the serial out by connecting it to a PC and using a terminal emulator to see the data. You will need a RS232 reversal cable for this test.

The image is here

Sorry, my link is quite slow.

Cheers.

Bruce.

Last edited:
Hi Peter, The Stratux makes generic GDL90 so the GRT should work.
I have compiled the latest Stratux and added the serialout from the github.
It sends at 38400 on serial port /dev/ttyUSB0.

I dont have my SDR or USB adapter so I cant test the whole setup.

The only thing you will need to check is your "USB to serial" adapter gets configured as /dev/ttyUSB0 on the pi. Just suck it and see. You can test the serial out by connecting it to a PC and using a terminal emulator to see the data. You will need a RS232 reversal cable for this test.

The image is here

Sorry, my link is quite slow.

Cheers.

Bruce.

Bruce

Tried a download last night. Took sometime then gave an error. This morning the link is not working

Peter

Sorry Peter, will upload it to dropbox and post the link.

Its now here

Cheers.

Bruce

Thanks I have it.

Will try it out tomorrow, although still trying to get the software patch for the HXr serial out selection.

Will be at Osh and will get the patch direct from GRT.

Best regards Peter

Thanks!

Hey thanks for the img mavmitchell! I had the same problem w/ the GRT image, but succeeded in installing it on my stratux. Will confirm my Horizon WS works with it in a couple of days. Thanks again, Ben

Stratus and HXr

The GRT instructions are at best vague and partially incorrect. Just hook up the output serial pin 3 to one of the open (unused) serial in ports on the Her and configure it for ADSB in on the HXR menu. There is no serial out to the Stratux. The HXr then will show the same data as the iPad shows. I have a 8.5 HX and the Stratux is working great. I am using a PI2 plus with the software off the GRT site. Make sure you have a good shield ground on the serial output connector to HXr case
Tyler N174MT
A&P EAA Tech Advisor

Hi Tyler, The GRT image wont boot on a pi3, not sure why..

This is the problem that Peter and I had, so I made a new image that works on the pi3.

Cheers.