judoka5051

Well Known Member
Hey All,

I read somewhere on here that a fellow RV owner had a remotely mounted, and permanently installed a Stratus II. I'd like to do that for a number of reasons, but I'll save that for the end.

The device has an 'auto-on' setting to start it up when ships power is applied, but has to be turned off manually. The only way I can figure out to install it remotely is to disconnect the internal battery and just shut it off by disconnecting ships power via the master switch. Make sense? Has anyone else done this, or some other method? BTW, I already use the plug in remote GPS antenna, so it doesn't have to see the sky.

The reasons I'd like to remotely mount it are firstly, it is having issues with the charging port connection and I'd like to either wire the cable permanently to the device, or plug it in using a stress relieving charging cable support. Secondly, I'd really like to get it out of bumping/kicking/knocking range!

Thanks, Lance

I thought it could be setup to turn on with power and automatically turn off the same way. I was sure I had done that before. You might want to verify that.

Besides the GPS antennae, the other antennae will be needed as well if the stratus is mounted out of sight.

I've had mine mounted on the turtle deck right behind the back seat and as you mentioned about moving it so it doesn't get knocked, well, I've already had one passenger knock it off exiting the plane. And his impervious attitude when I saw it on the ground was "how'd that get there?" Meanwhile, waiting on Santa to bring me the antennas so I can mount it out of sunlight and accessible from the pilot seat.

Give it some time

When power is removed from a Stratus and it is set to auto power on it takes about 30 seconds to shut down - so give it some more time and I think you will see it power off. It actually is watching the GPS for movement and will only shut down once it is sure you are not moving. That insures it does not shut off in flight in the event of a power failure.

Last edited: