TomVal

Well Known Member
Yesterday was my first flight with the Stratus II. My I-pad is 4G. How do you know if the Stratus is providing the gps inputs to the I-pad? With wifi communication established, the I-pad shows the ADS-B towers status message. Is there a similar message displayed to show that the Stratus is the gps source?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Tom
Yesterday was my first flight with the Stratus II as well. One way to tell if the gps is working is to see if the artificial horizon is up and running. I found that he gps signal is acquired very quickly. The radar, me tars, tags etc all work as advertised. The Horizon works well but you need to download the Stratus Horizon app to be able to "level" your screen. It does not seem to be possible to make this adjustment through Foreflight, which would be nice, but is easy to do with the horizon map.
One possible concern is that with the Stratus II working and connected by wifi to two iPads in the cockpit both iPads got too hot and showed the "need to cool" screen before they could be used again. Both units were in the sunlight but showed the hot indication much sooner then I had experienced before. I wonder if the extra power required is causing this situation. If that is the case perhaps plugging them into the airplanes power system might help?

Mine just came yesterday, an I haven't flown with it yet, but I have been through the book with it. If you bring up the attitude indicator on the Maps page, there is a text indicator in the upper left corner that will say ADHRS when the Sratus II is connected. You can click on that indicator for more details.

You can tell if the GPS is coming from the Stratus because the GPS accuracy in the little dashboard on the map screen shows a tag next to it showing it's coming from the Stratus. You can turn GPS on and off in the Stratus control page.

Thank you everyone. That was helpful. Wx permitting tomorrow, I'll take another look. I did have good AHRS information. I'll check the dashboard for the Stratus tag.

Regards,

Completed my second flight with the Stratus II today. I located the Stratus gps tag on the I-pad dashboard. I was receiving 4 ADS-B towers climbing out of 600 ft. This is a fine little gadget.

Once again, thank you all for your help.

Regards,