s24789

Well Known Member
Patron
Looking for some real life experiences with a stratus2 and foreflight. We have XM weather now and sold our Zaon and love ForeFlight. Wondering about user satisfaction with ADS-B traffic reception in non ADS-B out aircraft. Thanks

kev, i borrowed one to check it out and the traffic part is poor. if you want to try it i will have it till the end of the weekend. :eek:
img0992tl.jpg

Looking for some real life experiences with a stratus2 and foreflight. We have XM weather now and sold our Zaon and love ForeFlight. Wondering about user satisfaction with ADS-B traffic reception in non ADS-B out aircraft. Thanks

It's very hit or miss. I fly out of the Chicagoland area and very rarely get within anyone's ADS-B "puck", even with 2 major air carrier airports within 20 miles and numerous GA airfields.

For me, its a novelty at this time until I have ADS-B out.

Thanks Turbo and Joness, really wanted to hear from users and not advertisers.
Thanks

I have NavWorx ADS600B (In and Out) with under the wing transponder antenna and external GPS antenna. I also have a Stratus II with iPad. I love the weather display on iPad but will not trust the traffic. Since I have the Out the ground station is supposed to beam up the non-ADS-B traffic. NavWorx with external antenna received much more traffic than Stratus II. Maybe an external antenna on Stratus will do better.

I have a SkyRadar but no ADSB out. As others have said, I seldom see relevant traffic, unless by luck I'm near an ADSB-out plane. Then I see traffic, including myself.

Feedback

I borrowed the version 1 from a buddy for a recent trip from Canada down to the Bahamas. It picked out ONE plane in the entire trip seriously. I do not have ads, but had been told it would pick up some regardless. No joy.

The zaon on the other hand...didn't stop chirping from Georgia south. Nice to see so many GA planes.

Looking forward to this technology evolving and coming way down in price and performance. Cool stuff ahead. I figured another couple years and you will be able to get the air traffic app on your iphone, or google glasses with hud style traffic. :D

I am not sure about other places but Daytona Beach has a lot of ADS-B equipped airplanes. The following is from screen shots of iPad using Stratus inside my house (Google + made the animation). All the tail numbers end with "ER" are from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. My Stratus does not see that many traffic while in the air (antenna problem).

IMG_20131025_081336_389-MOTION.gif

Man, I sure do love the ADS-B weather with the Stratus II and Foreflight. As most have already stated, Traffic is lacking unless someone else with ADS-B out is in your vicinity.

However, I would buy a Stratus just for the FREE weather. Disclaimer: I never used (or had the opportunity to pay for) XM weather.

I also bought a DeltaPop UAT antenna from Don. It's awaiting installation as soon as I get back home. I'm getting 4 ADS-B towers without an antenna but hope to improve on that and get better long distance weather and traffic.

I have NavWorx ADS600B (In and Out) with under the wing transponder antenna and external GPS antenna. I also have a Stratus II with iPad. I love the weather display on iPad but will not trust the traffic. Since I have the Out the ground station is supposed to beam up the non-ADS-B traffic. NavWorx with external antenna received much more traffic than Stratus II. Maybe an external antenna on Stratus will do better.

I am (or was about to) purchase a Stratus II. Any reports from those of you using the suction cup mounted Stratus II external antenna?

Regards,

Last edited:
Slight tangent

Question for those using the Stratus (1 or 2) for traffic.

When you do see traffic are you frequently seeing yourself as well and does that cause issues for you?

I am a WingX user but like to keep my options open.

With WingX and the iLevil when traffic shows up I often will see myself (not always) however it is tough to tell if it is your shadow, OR someone on your tail about to crash right into you. So that leads to a minute or two of confusion while you circle or look carefully for traffic. Really annoying but I have a feeling that until everyone is transmitting ADSB out with tail numbers the removal of the echo is impossible.

Was curious what others see.

Last edited:
ADSB

We just made a round trip from Wisconsin to Key West Florida and our
Navworx ADSB system showed all weather and traffic every bit of the way.
Best investment ever.

Without ADS-B out don't even consider that you have traffic with a Stratus 2. I have the Navworx for ADS-B out and on the East Coast with Stratus 2 & Foreflight, it is pretty good at locating traffic.

Really annoying but I have a feeling that until everyone is transmitting ADSB out with tail numbers the removal of the echo is impossible.

With the right software, the echo will go away when YOU have ADSB-out (so the uplinked data will have your ID on it, instead of just a random mode-C hit).

I have ADS-B IN/Out and use SKYRADAR for displaying weather and traffic on IPAD. It does work very reliably, the accuracy is just amazing. I also display receive the same traffic/weather on my GRT which corresponds accurately with what I see on IPAD and visual .