gator

About three weeks ago I was on the last leg of a 2500 mile cross country and had just started the final descent from 8000 ft when my RV-8 started to vibrate/shake. I could not identify where it was coming from (controls, engine, tail, wings, etc,) before it stopped (after descending about 1500 ft).
Upon landing a thorough inspection of the plane turned-up nothing and all followiing flights were perfectly ok. In hindsight the only thing I could come up with was that perhaps I had failed to disengage the autopilot and that the shaking was the servo trying to resist the descent?
Last week on returning from another cross country, I had just climbed to 9500 ft and leveled off when the shaking/vibration started again. I immediately disengaged the autopilot and turned right and left (didn't stop it), flew up and down (didn't stop it), looked at all the control surfaces and they all seemed ok, checked the engine and it was ok......then, touched the brakes and the shaking/vibration STOPPED!
Problem solved. Evidently, at just the right angle, or airspeed, or something (only twice in 110 hours of flying) one or both wheels started turning and at a high enough speed one is slightly out of balance.
Just wanted to pass it on in case it happens to someone else.
Hope it helps save someone a little anxiety.

strange Vibration also

After flying my 8 for 5 years with no unusual noises....I have had 2 flights this year, one with a passenger flying with a good tail wind at about 170 knots and another into a strong headwind and clear air turbulance (same day on the return flight) where a very unique, loud vibration occurred.
It seemed to me to resonate from the rear passenger area or just behind it from my best guess.....it lasted about 5-8 seconds then went away....I have read about oil canning, but this seemed different to me....
Not sure as it has not happpened again since....

Mine was definitely an out of balance wheel turning. In retrospect I've felt the same shake before on other airplanes on take off or landing and as soon as I applied the brakes on mine the shaking stopped. Only wished I had stepped on the brakes one at a time so I would have identified which wheel it was....
And you guys are right, it sure does get your attention!

Hey Doug,
Check the aft passenger vent. When it's open I get the vibration, close it and it goes away.

Vent idea

John,
Thanks for the idea.....I am in the middle of my annual and I noticed that the air tube coming from the right wing up to the vent was on the floor and disconnected. I have a cover over the rear stick base so I had not noticed it.
That may be the culpret.
DOug
PS....Enjoy your trip west...it sounds great