Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
Last year I read an article in Sportsman Pilot about Paul Lipps and the strange looking propeller that he made for the plane that won the 2004 Reno Air Race. When Cris Ferguson made his presentation to us about Reno Air Racing he said that the biplane he designed and built for Jeffery Lo also used a Paul Lipps designed prop. During the question and answer period I asked if there was a down side to the propeller and his response to me was "Not that we have found". Those two airplanes finished 1st and 2nd at Reno in 2005 and Cris tells me they are seeing straight line speeds in the 280mph area. I just received the Winter 2006 issue of Sportsman Pilot and there is a little more detail. They claim the prop alone increased the speed 10 mph over what they were getting with the original "at the end of the straight aways" with the original two blade Sensenich. The prop was made by Craig Catto according to the article in the current magazine. My question is, "Is anyone taking a serious look at this propeller design for other aricraft - like and RV-6A for example?" I assume both of the race props are 3-blade F/P, is there a C/S application?

Bob Axsom

Prop creator

I think he calls it an "eLIPPSee's" airfoil. He flys a lancair as his personal airplane and is quite active on the Lancair mail list. I believe an aerodynamisist by training and/or profession. Either way a bright guy :)