Cement85

How did you all make sure you did not have swept forward or aft swept wings when installing them?

Best Idea so far is to line up plum bobs on the front of the wings and line them up.

Yep, use plumb bobs to make sure the wings are parallel. Also pull a tape measure from dead center on the aft bulkhead to the very outside tip of the main spar web to make sure that the wings are perpendicular to the fuselage.

And quadruple check the incidence and edge distance(s) before you drill the aft spar attach point. Use a block of wood or some other assist device to make sure the hole you drill is perpendicular to the rear spar.

The wing alignment method using plumb bobs hung from the leading edge of the wing should be performed with the fuselage leveled in flight position rather than tail down. We aligned the wings on an RV-4 without leveling the fuselage and wound up with a forward sweep. We figured out what was wrong before doing any drilling.

Frank R.

I used plumb bobs and a chalk line to line up the leading edges, plus safety wire from the tailwheel spring bolt to the center of a rivet about 2/3 of the way outboard on the aft spar. to get them perpendicular to the fuse. My setup at home wouldn't allow me to go all the way to the end of the wing.