Feel your pain, now!

Wish we could get some of that rain-----not the winds, just the rain, up here to help with the fire. 18.5k acres, and gonna get larger, a lot larger.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4108/

Mike, our Aunt from Valley Springs is visiting here in the North East and the other day when we had a constant all day rainfall she just wanted to stand out in it. It was like watching someone who never saw rain before. When I asked her what was up she said you had to be a Californian to understand.

Valley Springs is an hour or so drive south of the fire area, couple thousand feet lower.

Much hotter and dryer there.

Owner is from AZ. If he logs in here and needs a ride home, my cell is 928 two 73 933 one
Nick
Sorry to hear about the six

RV6

I believe Charley lives in San Diego also has a place at Indian Hills airpark in Arizona.

Jim

Tracy Saylor's N25TS

N25TS...I remember talking to Tracy Saylor at Sun 'n Fun in 1994. Tracy had the throttle quadrant on the left and flew with his right hand. A very fast RV even back then.
Is Tracy Saylor still alive? I really learned a lot from him in just a few minutes.

Update

Hi - Thanks for all the concern. I still have my place in San Diego and my pickup is here so I can get back to the airpark in AZ. I have spent the day working to get things handled and helping get the plane off the cars and fence and into safe storage. The adjuster will look at it tomorrow. Never had to deal with something like this before but looking at it in perspective at least it's only bent metal, nobody hurt.
It is a very special fast and clean airplane and is sad to see it so mashed up.It apparently was a microburst . Lots of damage to other airplanes and trees broken off. Two of the tie down chains were still hanging from it and the third had the hook that was in the tiedown ring straighten out by the pull of the wind.
I've been lucky to get to enjoy flying it with the formation group, the cross country racers, going to Oshkosh, racing it at Reno and introducing several pilots to aerobatics in the two short years I've owned it. Thanks for all the camaraderie from everyone. Priceless. You all take care out there and I'll see you at the airport one way or the other.
I called Tracy this afternoon to let him know. What a craftsman and gentleman. He's doing well and still at the airpark at Independence.
Charlie

Last edited:
sorry

I saw similar damage on Lake Hood in Anchorage one winter. Planes tied on the ice got hit by a big wind and tore them up. It seemed random. About every third plane parked in the row seemed untouched. Later, though... the FAA contacted owners and gave them the bad news. Structural analysis of those who had intact tie downs... showed enormous stresses imparted to wings and fuselage. So, hidden damage became a real concern.
I parked the 9A twenty feet from Charlie's plane yesterday for lunch in San Diego. I decided to move over to Gillespie to park for the night. At 2 PM a smaller microburst hit mine and jostled it for a bit with wind and rain. No damage though. Just sheer luck and bad luck. Anyway, he has wheels and a way home.... sorry to see the photos...
NC

tie-downs? don't trust 'em!

a while ago I got a new neighbor, so understandably, they may not have had time to find the concrete & steel anchor rings that are buried at each parking spot.....so they did this dog-screw thing into hard granular soil, at some pretty weird angles!
I took a photo for the insurance company, as I expected a passing thunderstorm would flip this bird on top of mine!
.....naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, NEVER happen, right?:rolleyes:

pipertiedown_zps1607e325.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

(He has since found the real rings, now I just have to worry about the little pot-metal hooks on most W*lM@rt ratcheting straps!)