skyyking56

Well Known Member
Hi all,
Does anyone see any negative in storing the wings flat on the ceiling rafters?
I have a workshop that is open ceiling and have accomodated offset joists foe access to above. I just dont have enough space to put the wings in a holder jig as Vans plans state.
Any comments would be appreciated...
Thanks,
Jim
7A emp almost done (it seems like i,ve been saying that forever :( )

Hi Jim,

I don't see anything wrong with it. In fact, I am going to do just that in my hangar with my own wings and a fellow builder's wings.

I think technique is the key to most things in life. My technique for suspending the wings will be the same as the way they are suspended on the plane. I plan on hanging angle bracket from the ceiling and bolting the wing spars to it. At the tip, where there will be little weight I plan on installing bolts where the tooling holes are and fastening the angle to it.

I think it should work fine.

;) CJ

Last edited:
PVC Pipe

Another suggestion would be to run 2 1/2 in or bigger PVC pipe, whatever will fit and run it through the whole length of the wing and hang it that way. 2 pipes per wing should work. Run the rope through the pipe and then to the rafters. NO pushtubes would be in this application or wing tips.

Just some thoughts.

Bruce, I like it!

Good idea! To make it better I would insert steel pipe within the plastic because the plastic will bend over time. It probably wouldn't break, but it would be much more rigid.

:) CJ

I couldn't put them on top of the rafters so I hung them under. Made some brackets out of plywood. I doubled the plywood at the lower edge for strength Contoured them to the airfoil. A little carpet. They have been there longer than I would like to admit.
picture189zk4.jpg

picture188lf7.jpg

picture187pf0.jpg