Mike D

Well Known Member
This must have been answered but can't seem to find anything on it.

Are there any special precautions when storing things like wings or tail surfaces? It is humid and we have mud dabbers where I live.
Best I can understand is to wipe down with acetone and get a solar powered fan to keep the air moving.

I would hope to store my wings on the garage wall. Any pictures of this? Safety concerns? Other surfaces will go in the rafters.

Thanks!

Mike,
The only corrosion I ever got was during the short time I was building the airplane in Valdosta, GA. Lessons learned:

1. Completely remove the plastic protective film. Does more harm than good.
2. Cover up any holes/openings with plastic sheeting and tape.
3. Loosely cover with cloth drop cloth to keep clean.
4. Keep an eye on it.
5. I didn't think about this before, but you may be able to wipe it down with something like Corrosion X.

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

This must have been answered but can't seem to find anything on it.

Are there any special precautions when storing things like wings or tail surfaces? It is humid and we have mud dabbers where I live.
Best I can understand is to wipe down with acetone and get a solar powered fan to keep the air moving.

I would hope to store my wings on the garage wall. Any pictures of this? Safety concerns? Other surfaces will go in the rafters.

Thanks!

Psychometics is my hobby, OK more of a profession. A/C contractor in a humid place. I don't think you need to do anything. If they are in the garage you will not be worried about condensation so air movement should not be needed. I would however pull the cover off on ocation and inspect them. I can't help with the mud dobbers. Others have reported corrosion from leaving the plastic on so removal may be best. I left my in storage for about 6 months with the plastic on and had no corrrosion.

QB assemblies are sprayed with ordinary WD40 before shipping from the PI. Seems to work.

corrosion x is a good idea I hadn't considered. when I finish my wings I was planning to take them to the hangar to save space in my garage. I figured they would be exposed to the same elements in my hangar as they would be if they were attached to a flying airplane. And I have never lost any sleep about the elements degrading the safe condition of the wings on my flying planes (as it sat in my hangar).

I plan to cover any openings to keep out the bugs/animals/rodents/mud daubers.

Last edited:
Mike - Although CorrosionX is a wonderful product to be sure, I?m not sure about the wisdom of putting it on any surfaces you later plan to primer and paint. Not positive but think I remember reading somewhere CorrosionX is not recommended for use on surfaces that are to be painted within (if I remember correctly) 6 months or a year.

I would think using something like WD-40 or perhaps a petroleum based product that can be totally cleaned off with solvents would be the better choice if you will want to give your finish paint the best possible surface to adhere to. Perhaps others more knowledge will chime in.

The floor at my hangar can get quite wet at times, so have a large barn fan to move the air around seems to do a good job ... that may help you some as well. You are on your own with the bugs and insects.

Wipe them down once in a while

In a humid environment be sure to keep them somewhat clean. The dirt will hold moisture and cause some uneven corrosion. I had this problem with wings stored a year. Granted mine were near the ocean but they were also prepped with oil and I still had some corrosion to deal with where dirt had accumulated

I stored my QB -8 wings for a little over a year on the rack in my garage about 20 feet from the bulkhead on Clear lake - didn't do anything to them, and they had no issues. The QB wings for our RV-3 spent about two years on the rack in our hangar at Polly Ranch (just up from the creek) - did nothing special, and once again, no corrosion. I did borescope for mud daubers before installation.

My biggest fear was/is mice & rats. They love to nest in any enclosed, protected space, and and almost any component we need to store, they love. Mice can get through a hole you can't poke your pinkie through, so if you think you don't have them, dream on. They will make you completely forget about humidity. Mouse pee is like acid on aluminum.

I stuff packets of rat poison in strategic locations in my work room (inside my hangar), and I have to replenish them every month or two. I do try to place them where other animals can't get to them.

FWIW,

Charlie

Thanks!!!!!!

I'll cover the holes and wrap them in some sheets to keep them clean.

Now, how to string them up on the walls of the garage. Thinking some straps with bolts into the studs.

Thanks!!!!!!

I'll cover the holes and wrap them in some sheets to keep them clean.

Now, how to string them up on the walls of the garage. Thinking some straps with bolts into the studs.

I don't know if this is the best way, but its what I did. I had bought a project one time with the wings already completed. I punched little holes in the drywall of the ceiling of my garage on each side of the ceiling joists that ran above my garage ceiling. Then I ran rope through the hole, over the joist and back down into the garage, and hung my wings from the ceilings. The wings were hung laying flat (like in flying position) so it took up the space of the width of the wings.