RV7AJeremy

Well Known Member
Anyone see an issue with storing the fiberglass wing tips and the leading edge skins in my attic? I live in mississippi; it's hot, it's humid. Thanks in advance.

I don't know specifically, but I would probably recommend against it just because that high humidity and broad temperature swings tend to not be good for a lot of materials.

Storage issue

Jeremy,
No matter where or how you store your fiberglass parts, consider this. Fiberglass continues to cure for many months. The "tips" [wing, H/S, V/S rudder etc] will tend to collapse inward unless they are supported. Without internal support, they will then cure in that new position.
When you go to install them, they will not want to lay up tight against the metal skins. I would recommend that you stuff the insides of all these parts with either old rags or wadded up newspaper. Stuff them to the point that it forces the surfaces apart slightly. This will ensure that they fit against the skins tightly, when it finally comes time to install them.
I live in SE Florida. It's hot and humid here, as well. My parts were stored in warehouse bay [no A/C or temperature control] They survived just fine.
Just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.
Charlie Kuss

Charlie is right on. The heat and humidity won't hurt your parts (if it did, how would it last on the plane once installed?) but unsupported fiberglass tends to warp. Things like wing tips can be stuffed. Cowlings can be stored open end up so they naturally spread, with a strip or two of masking tape across them to keep the spread from getting out of hand. You can also tape the trailing edge of gear leg fairings to a flat surface to keep them from twisting.