Andy_RR

Well Known Member
Can you store a brand-new propellor (WW 200RV, for example) without triggering any time-dependent overhaul requirements?

I'm thinking of stockpiling expensive but obsolesence-resistant parts that I will need for my RV build in the future, given the uncertainty of the current financial situation.

A

I bought my WW200RV very early in its existence when the price was a bit cheaper than the Hartzell. It then sat for 3 or 4 years. It started leaking grease within 10 hours of first flight and had one blade root seal replaced under warranty. Then at 110 hours it started leaking oil at the base of one blade and I have had a complete reseal job done on it, not under warranty. I would recommend either waiting for your prop or finding out if there is a way to prevent the seals from drying out during long term storage.

Jeremy Constant

Food for thought - thanks Jeremy.

I just found the description of service intervals on the WW website and it states a 5-year/650hr teardown interval.

Perhaps I'll try to accelerate the build instead! :D

2 yrs

I asked this question of Hartzell and they said the CS props can be stored for 2 years. After this they need to be "overhauled". Obviously they would only need new seals and grease, but I decided to buy my prop last so I can just bolt it on and not worry about storage limits.