HBpilot

I just got my new tail kit and upon reading Van's instructions, they recommend a dry storage location for ALL parts. I live in Florida, and I was planning to store everything in my garage. Well, it is still quite hot and humid at this time of the year. I have limited space inside the house.
Shall I move EVERYTHING inside the house, or can I at least leave the skins in the garage (still with the Blue protection) ?

Thanks

I just got my new tail kit and upon reading Van's instructions, they recommend a dry storage location for ALL parts. I live in Florida, and I was planning to store everything in my garage. Well, it is still quite hot and humid at this time of the year. I have limited space inside the house.
Shall I move EVERYTHING inside the house, or can I at least leave the skins in the garage (still with the Blue protection) ?

Thanks

Only if you plan on leaving the finished aircraft in the house also.

Pat

You need to move into the garage, and put the airplane in the house :D

Last edited:
I built my RV-7A in a hanger at St Pete-Clearwater with no problem. It took me 5 years to build and no signs of corrosion.

Thanks

Hundreds of RVs have been built in very humid conditions with no ill effects. Find something else to worry about. :)

Enjoy your new project!

I built my RV-8 in the first floor garage of a stilt house 20 feet from a saltwater canal on the Texas coast. Stored everything in the garage for the 18 month build - it all came out just fine.

Thank you all for the info. I just got spooked a bit when reading Van's recommendations.
Can't wait to get started...

I had problems. Take reasonable care.

There were minor problems but... Do not leave the skins on cement. I have seen fine corrosion powder on the edge where several parts were in contact. This was no big deal, but keep them off any damp surface. Just saying...

Second think about leaving the protective plastic coating on as long as you can. There is a reason for it. It will also protect from things like cat pee or bird droppings if they should get in the garage. I will bet there are things like this even in Florida.

I purchased all my kits up front because I have seen manufacturers go out of business in the past. Hence I had the parts around for several years until I needed everything. I trust Van's now but that was then.

Have fun!