Toddav8r

This is my first posting after a few years of perusing the RV lists. I'm getting ready to finish my RV-8 empennage kit and order my wing kit. Like many of you, I'm a space challenged builder. I've got one-half of a two-car garage to work in, and I haven't decided whether to build both wings at the same time or one at a time. I understand the benefits of simultaneous wing building, but it could be quite cramped. Whichever I choose, I'm short storage space. I came across a great deal for a nice 10'x12' building I can put in my back yard. It's got nice big double doors, and it's well vented and weatherproof. My question is how long in the longest wing part for storage purposes, and how long is a completed wing? Will a cradle with 2 wings fit in a 10'x12' space?

Thanks in advance for help in this matter...

Todd Farnsley
My Kitlog website

Todd,

My wing cradle with two wings on it is 9'7" long by 3' wide and 5'9" tall, with no tips on the wings. The new type tips will add slightly less than 19" to the total length. My airplane is an RV-8.

Pat

Minimum space, maximum storage

Toddav8r said:
...............I'm short storage space. I came across a great deal for a nice 10'x12' building I can put in my back yard. It's got nice big double doors, and it's well vented and weatherproof. My question is how long in the longest wing part for storage purposes, and how long is a completed wing? Will a cradle with 2 wings fit in a 10'x12' space?...........
Todd Farnsley
Todd,
The wings should certainly fit into a 10'x12' space.
This is the wing dolly I made up from plans available (at the time) for free that were published in an EAA magazine researched on the EAA's homebuilder's page. Hopefully, someone may remember the specific month and year and the particular magazine (Sport Aviation?) the plans were printed in but I'm sure you could find it if you researched long enough. I "think" it may be a Tony Bingelis article and design, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, it sure came in handy tucked away in my small supposedly "2" car garage. The overall length of the dolly is 62", and 47" tall not counting the (optional) rollers. The top and sides are made from 2X4 lumber, the bottom a 4X4. The 36" legs and 13" uprights affixed to the ends of them are made from 2x6 lumber. The whole assembly is stiffened considerably with plywood gussets. As I recall, the plans specified nails, but I screwed everything together. A 6" wide carpet remnant screwed into the wood are what the wings are actually supported on. The optional (and in my case, lockable) rollers made moving the wing sets around a very simple proposition.
rvfuse058sw.jpg
wingdolly1154jk.jpg

wingdolly4209gr.jpg
wingdolly3152ak.jpg

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Last edited:
Both Wings

Hi Todd,

I would build both wings at the same time if at all possible, I did it this way and happy that I did. I believe that it is much more efficient. I did not park in the other half of my 2 car garage, but I could have if I had to.

I got creative with where I am storing my wings. I keep them in a spare bedroom, which used to be my guest room as well. If you have any space at all in the house, I would consider it as an option. I built the cradle to the plans that Van's gives you and it works just fine.

Food for thought...

If you build one at a time, you still need the space to store the 1st one once you complete it. At least when building both at once, they are presumably both (stored) in the jigs at the same time.

Wing stand/dolly

I have received private messages and e-mails seeking more information on the wing dolly.

Upon contacting the EAA, a spokesman referred me to the article and plans for it. It was indeed written by Tony Bingelis and published in the Dec.87 issue of Sport Aviation. I cannot simply "copy and paste" the material here as it violates the EAA's policy on distribution of copywrited material. Members however, may access the information here.

http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/building/workshop/How to Make a Wing Stand.html#TopOfPage

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Photo of building wing in half of garage

Howdy, Todd. Welcome to the forums. Here's a pic of the wing I built for Flash (in half of a two car garage). I would agree with the others that say it's easier to build both at the same time.

When I was done I built the standard wing storage jig and built up the fuse jig (RV-6)

WingsInJigs23.jpg

Here's a pic of the fuse, wing and (you can just see) the finish kit hanging from the ceiling:

FuseFromDriveway.jpg

Assorted storage space for emp parts on the ceiling:
EmpennageOnCeiling.jpg

Hope some of this gave you an idea or two.

Best,
Doug