AF_Alan

Well Known Member
Uncle Sam has decided to send me overseas for a couple years and neither the government shippers nor base house will accomdate my wings or the longerons (over 8'). Looks like a 2-year pause in construction.:(

I primed the interior surfaces but can't really prime the exterior before moving. Plan is to store the assembled tail & wings and the fuselage kit in a cargo trailer in N. Cal.

Is there anything I can do quickly to avoid (or worse, cause) corrosion?:confused:

If I rest the pieces on foam pads will it promote corrosion?

Plasitc on or off?

Desicant to remove any humidity?

Lastly, can any work be done on the forward fuselage without the back half or longerons? Would be nice to do something occassionally.

Any advice is appreciated!

Alan
RV-9A Bulkheads done
N984AW Reserved

thanks for serving in the armed forces

I don't know if you've looked into it, but you could spray it with corrosion x maybe?

what part of norcal are you storing it?

do you have any local RV builders who could check up on it every three months or so?

I don't imagine any desicant would be useful over the long term, it will get saturated and stop working pretty quick with the typical humidity of CA. eh, i saw it would be in a sealed container. You might be able to get some pretty big desicant that would make a difference.
i tried to contact this guy:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12512521
but i didn't get a response, he might have something you could use. maybe you could scrounge some of this stuff from the air force.

I think the plastic is a wash, it might hold some moisture off the flat surfaces, it might hold it on the edges. It will get harder to take off eventually.

Last edited:
Thanks

It will be up near Mt Shasta, so dry summers and snow in winter but not too humid. A desicant bowl in close space should be better than nothing. Most afraid of placing the wings on foam or something unknowingly that will actually promote corrosion.

Thanks. I'll look for corrosion X.

Alan
Guam bound in 60 days

I wouldn't over worry about it. My wings were stored in carpeted wing-cradles in a storage facility in Chicago for four years and only got dusty. Then they were stored outside in the cradles in Flagstaff. There, they were covered in blue tarp. I was worried about corrosion but all I got was some black surface marking from the tarp, which will be removed when the surface is etched for prep for painting. The inner surfaces were etched/alodined/and primed with AKZO. The exterior surfaces are still bare Alclad.

Then again, maybe I just had good luck; I also did not remove plastic until ready to work on the parts. Some of the parts had plastic on them for years and I have not seen any corrosion on my parts.