Marklew

I'm New Here
I have found a 0-360 that has been sitting for over 20 years in an A&P's shop. No logs but at a good price.

I am going to have the case, crank, cam ect inspected.
My question is should I completed the overhaul and fill with oil and place on a engine stand and rotate every few weeks, or leave the inspected parts as is and finish the rebuild later? I estimate not needing the engine for 3 to 5 years.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark

For best results, do not build the engine until you are ready for it.

Engine

I'm with Mel. Build when needed. Corrosion proof and monitor for now. Easier to store too.

Don Broussard

RV-9 Rebuild in Progress

I have found a 0-360 that has been sitting for over 20 years in an A&P's shop. No logs but at a good price.

I am going to have the case, crank, cam ect inspected.
My question is should I completed the overhaul and fill with oil and place on a engine stand and rotate every few weeks, or leave the inspected parts as is and finish the rebuild later? I estimate not needing the engine for 3 to 5 years.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark

Mel is right. However, if you're gung-ho to do something, disassemble the engine and send the parts out for inspection/service. When you get them back, they will be clean and in sealed packaging. Put 'em in a closet or something in conditioned space (not the garage or hangar) and they should remain clean and corrosion free for years.