civengpe

Well Known Member
Can anyone give me any pointers for a good overnight stopover between Dallas and Oshkosh? I am taking my nephew and plan to pick him up at KAFW on Friday the 22nd and would like to spend the night somewhere reasonably close so we can get there early on the 23rd.

Also, is the HBC set up anything like Airventure? That was amazing. I was really impressed by the facilities and everything Mary Jane did. Is there an equivalent Oshkosh "Mary Jane"?

I'm not sure who is more excited for Airventure this year. Me or my Nephew!:D

Shannon

Can anyone give me any pointers for a good overnight stopover between Dallas and Oshkosh? I am taking my nephew and plan to pick him up at KAFW on Friday the 22nd and would like to spend the night somewhere reasonably close so we can get there early on the 23rd.

Also, is the HBC set up anything like Airventure? That was amazing. I was really impressed by the facilities and everything Mary Jane did. Is there an equivalent Oshkosh "Mary Jane"?

I'm not sure who is more excited for Airventure this year. Me or my Nephew!:D

Shannon

Yes the HBC is exactly the same at Oshkosh as it is at Airventure! :D
(pokepoke)

Well, the answer depends on what plane you are flying in to Oshkosh. If indeed you are flying an RV10, as your signature line implies, then I would say Houston is a pretty close place to spend the night before arriving into Oshkosh. :D

Seriously, if you are flying an RV 10 then I really cannot see spending the night anywhere since practically the entire US is within arms reach of Oshkosh and easily reachable in a few hours in a 10.

Good luck and hope to see you there.

Thanks Steve.

I was hoping to get there early enough to avoid the mass arrivals on Saturday and not have to pick up my nephew at 4AM. My sister in law might get a little peeved at that. :eek:

I've found a few that meet that criteria, but was hoping there might be some recommendations from the group.

Shannon

Overnight

Steve,

I always overnight at Portage, Wi. C47, I stay at the Best Western. You are right on track for first in line. I leave from Denton, Tx.

Saturday OK

Thanks Steve.

I was hoping to get there early enough to avoid the mass arrivals on Saturday and not have to pick up my nephew at 4AM. My sister in law might get a little peeved at that. :eek:

I've found a few that meet that criteria, but was hoping there might be some recommendations from the group.

Shannon

Hey Shannon,

Having flown into Osh on all but the last 3 days, I can tell you that Saturday isn't bad at any time. The real Fur Ball begins on Sunday. Surely you'll want to be on the line with a cooler and lawn chairs for that!!! Pure entertainment. Better than people watching at Walmart or MVD:eek:

Hey Shannon,

Having flown into Osh on all but the last 3 days, I can tell you that Saturday isn't bad at any time. The real Fur Ball begins on Sunday. Surely you'll want to be on the line with a cooler and lawn chairs for that!!! Pure entertainment. Better than people watching at Walmart or MVD:eek:

I would definitely rather be an observer than a performer on Sunday!

It's trips like this that really make me appreciate what wonderful machines we have. I flew my -10 to sun n fun this year for the first time and I was able to pack everything I wanted and then some. Heck, I even had carpet for the tent!

Texdog, thanks for the recommendation. Since my nephew is quite young and has absolutely zero experience camping etc., I'm gonna want to be fresh when I get there and have to set up camp while he watches...:cool:

Shannon

Thanks Steve.

Shannon
Just to give you a data point to ponder. We usually fly as a group of 3,4,5 RV 7's and my 9 from OK. From OKC I will take off around 7:00am Saturday morning. We stop somewhere in Missouri for fuel then pick an airport approximately 100 or so miles outside of KOSH to top off tanks. The remaining 100 miles is just a hop skip and we are on the FISK arrival. We are usually arriving somewhere around 1:00-2:00pm Saturday. Arrival at that time has been crowded some years, but some years we fly right on down the line and land without any difficulty. Granted it is exciting and we always have stories to tell. Perhaps I am always a bit anxious during the arrival but it really is not as bad as we always imagine it to be.

In your 10 if you left Houston at 7:00am I would bet you could be somewhere in Iowa around 10:00-11:00 am. I would expect at the most that would leave you an hour or less flight into KOSH. Just my thoughts on flying a 10, since I have never done so, but I bet 5 hours could put you landing at KOSH. I know from OKC we are approximately 5 hours out, cruising around 165-170 mph. Anyway just a thought.

As for places up around Oshkosh. I am sure Rockford, IL (KRFD) would have rooms. Don't know anything about the airport there, other than once upon a time Oshkosh was Rockford! :D

Just to give you a data point to ponder. We usually fly as a group of 3,4,5 RV 7's and my 9 from OK. From OKC I will take off around 7:00am Saturday morning. We stop somewhere in Missouri for fuel then pick an airport approximately 100 or so miles outside of KOSH to top off tanks.

And with that thought in mind, I was looking at my route today, and Monroe, Wisconsin KEFT has 100LL for $3.60, 94 miles south of Oshkosh. I'm sure that will be my splash-and-dash.

Just to give you a data point to ponder. We usually fly as a group of 3,4,5 RV 7's and my 9 from OK. From OKC I will take off around 7:00am Saturday morning. We stop somewhere in Missouri for fuel then pick an airport approximately 100 or so miles outside of KOSH to top off tanks. The remaining 100 miles is just a hop skip and we are on the FISK arrival. We are usually arriving somewhere around 1:00-2:00pm Saturday. Arrival at that time has been crowded some years, but some years we fly right on down the line and land without any difficulty. Granted it is exciting and we always have stories to tell. Perhaps I am always a bit anxious during the arrival but it really is not as bad as we always imagine it to be.

In your 10 if you left Houston at 7:00am I would bet you could be somewhere in Iowa around 10:00-11:00 am. I would expect at the most that would leave you an hour or less flight into KOSH. Just my thoughts on flying a 10, since I have never done so, but I bet 5 hours could put you landing at KOSH. I know from OKC we are approximately 5 hours out, cruising around 165-170 mph. Anyway just a thought.

As for places up around Oshkosh. I am sure Rockford, IL (KRFD) would have rooms. Don't know anything about the airport there, other than once upon a time Oshkosh was Rockford! :D
Steve,
That would be my normal plan, but I have to do a stopover in Ft. Worth to pick up my nephew. Knowing my SIL, that will turn out to much longer than I would like. :rolleyes:

So, my plan so far is to take off after work on Friday at about noon from EFD and pick up my nephew at KAFW then fly another 3-3.5 for a stopover somewhere. Then we can get up early the next morning and get into OSH before all of the fun begins.

Shannon

WI Overnight

Not sure how close you want to get to OSH for overnight, but if you want to get into Wisconsin, Janesville (JVL) and Madison (MSN) are options; in Watertown (RYV), they have one of the friendliest FBO's in WI and there is a hotel two blocks from the tie-downs and numerous food options.

So, my plan so far is to take off after work on Friday at about noon from EFD and pick up my nephew at KAFW then fly another 3-3.5 for a stopover somewhere. Then we can get up early the next morning and get into OSH before all of the fun begins.

Shannon

Your stopover plan will keep you out of any potential ground fog problems we sometimes get in Houston at Oshkosh time.

It's not exactly close to Oshkosh but I've been wanting to stop at the Beaumont Hotel in Kansas. You taxi on the street from the field to the hotel. Certainly would be novel. http://beaumonthotelks.com/

Greg,
That looks amazing! I think I may just have to stop in on the way back!

I was hoping to find something like that a little closer though....

Shannon

Greg,
That looks amazing! I think I may just have to stop in on the way back!

I was hoping to find something like that a little closer though....

Shannon

This will be my first year going to Oshkosh and I am still undecided about when to go. I am somewhat curious, what is the rush to get their early on Saturday. Does anything happen that day? I thought all the activities started on Sunday.

This will be my first year going to Oshkosh and I am still undecided about when to go. I am somewhat curious, what is the rush to get their early on Saturday. Does anything happen that day? I thought all the activities started on Sunday.

The rush to get there Saturday:

1) You get to observe the arrivals on Sunday.
2) With a beer in your hand.
3) You probably get a better parking space.
4) You probably face less traffic during the arrival.
5) If you have a weather problem or other setback, you've got an additional day to deal with it.

But most of all, it is just fun to be at Oshkosh with a lot of like minded people...

+1 on Kyles post

Also if you get in early enough you get to see some mass arrivals on Saturday, Cessnas and Bonanzas generally, more doctors and lawyers in one place than anywhere else:)