Craig23

Well Known Member
Hi All,

The Van's drawings call for AN365 stop nuts to attach the control surfaces to the HS, VS, and wings but I wondered whether most of you end up using drilled bolts with castle nuts and cotter pins. Do the DARs or FAA inspectors generally require the castle nuts?

Thanks,

In certain circumstances

Whenever the bolt is bearing on a rotating pivot, and has a chance of unwinding the bolt or nut, a castellated nut and pin is called out. That being said, I used the Belt and Suspenders method and installed drilled bolts, with elastic castellated nuts on all of my linkage and control surfaces. If for no other reason, it makes for easier inspection. Downside is the few extra bucks you will spend for peace of mind.

Regards,
Chris

No, Craig...

...since the bolt is not a hinge point but the ball is. On the rudder pedals, the bolt attaching the cables IS the hinge so a castellated nut is used. Same thing applies on the rudder horn/cable attach point. Those bolts are the hinge pin.

The rudder and elevators use the bolt to trap the ball so it stands still while the outer part rotates. That's why a locknut is used. Same deal on the pushrod ends.

Regards,

Pierre is right

And, because the bolt is not the pivot, it must be torqued accordingly. Mine are in and marked with torque seal; easy to inspect at preflight.