Txflyer

Hi. me again. I'm going to own an RV8 even though my pride hurts not building one.... I would never finish it. I'm not going to even go there. Nope. Won't do it. You can't make me. :p

I have a turf farm strip that's 1500' with really 1200' of sweet spot. Trees on both ends and a swale in the middle. My C-180 handles it no sweat, with caveats. I have a STOL wing cuff, tundras, and MT prop. I won't attempt takeoff at gross on a hot day if that helps explain my field. I only fly in there with less fuel and takeoff alone. A skilled bush pilot might make me look silly, but I'm a frady cat. :eek:

So, that brings me to, how short will you take your 8? More importantly, leave? I welcome your war stories. ;):)

I only have about 120 hours in my 6 and I fly off a grass field that is 2800 feet. The end I land over has about a 4' fence. It has markers at the mid point. Taking off is no problem, even with a FP prop. My brother and I took off yesterday at about gross weight, 95 F, elevation 60 ft, and we were off the ground at about 800-900.

Landing is a whole different ball game. If I drag it in, under power at about 60-65 mph, the nose is pitched up so much it will land the tail wheel first and with this kind of density altitude I can make mid feild of 1400' but not consistently. During the winter, with low fuel and by myself, I can make 800'.
Of course the winds are a "big factor". This example is calm/light winds. I typically have a cross wind at my field.

There are alot better pilots on here doing better, but I am still working on it. I have the ability to build a 1500 strip with one clear end, and I am trying to get comfortable with the midpoint at my current airport. I think part of the problem is I need to lower the idle so the plane prop does not keep pullling the plane once I get my wheels down. A constant speed prop obvioulsy will help with the "air brake".

I have alot of interest in this thread as well. You will get alot of different opinions. 1500 feet with obstacles at both ends would be very difficult for me to land. Your mileage may vary.

Our strip is 525m (1720') with trees / wires / fences at each end, and peaks in the middle i.e. land on upslope, but rollout on downslope. I would say the first 75m (250') from each end you cannot touch down in due flying over the obstacles.

As Kyle says, if the wind is right, moderate braking has me stopped by midpoint i.e. ~500' ground roll. If wind/surface is wrong some days I have to go elsewhere.

From someone I know with an RV-8, but had an RV-4, the 7/8 are not in the same league as the earlier models for STOL - the flaps don't give the same drag / descent angle.

With reasonable skill I would say a level 1000' is long enough, provided the approach is clear i.e. you can land right at the beginning of it.

Kyle's
1500 feet with obstacles at both ends would be very difficult
I reckon is spot on - of course the "size" of the obstacles needs to be defined. Is there somewhere close by / easy to get to/from so you do not "need" to get in everytime?

I've landed my -8 (180 HP fixed pitch) on a 1400 ft long/almost 5000'msl dirt strip with tall bushes on one end in a confined canyon. I did a bit of training at my home base before taking her in there but it was possible. Surface was a mixture of hard dirt/gravel to soft dirt ( stick full back!). It was fun but not something I'd subject my plane to on a regular basis. A C/S prop would help get it stopped quicker.
Waiting for a cuffed leading edge stol kit for RVs and tundra tires next!
Or... maybe just another plane

Last edited:
What kind of Eight? 200 hp constant speed prop or 150hp fixed pitch or something in between?
Keep one thing in mind. In most runway overrun accidents I have reviewed pilots consistently underestimate the effects of wind. There is a much bigger difference between a 5 knot headwind and a 5 knot tailwind then most of our brains acknowledge on short final or when lining up for takeoff.

George

Pretty short...

Hi. me again. I'm going to own an RV8 even though my pride hurts not building one.... I would never finish it. I'm not going to even go there. Nope. Won't do it. You can't make me. :p

I have a turf farm strip that's 1500' with really 1200' of sweet spot. Trees on both ends and a swale in the middle. My C-180 handles it no sweat, with caveats. I have a STOL wing cuff, tundras, and MT prop. I won't attempt takeoff at gross on a hot day if that helps explain my field. I only fly in there with less fuel and takeoff alone. A skilled bush pilot might make me look silly, but I'm a frady cat. :eek:

So, that brings me to, how short will you take your 8? More importantly, leave? I welcome your war stories. ;):)

Mark,

I helped a neighbor finish his 200HP/MT 3 blade RV8 several years ago. Our home strip is 1800'usable and it handled our strip with ease. In fact my300HP HR2 had no issues as well. An RV can fly final easily at 60 Knots with practice, the 8 tends to get tail buffet at slower speeds but lands power on nicely.
However comma, my friend sold the 8 to an ultralight owner with a 900' strip. I checked him out and delivered the 8 to his strip, again no worries.
Practice makes perfect...

V/R
Smokey

RV-8, 180 horse, Hartzell C/S. I operate out of a 1700 foot strip but only use half the runway. One way in, one way out but still only need half the length even on downwind takeoffs and downwind landings (wind velocity within reason of course). 900 hours on the hobbs, and quite a few trips into the Idaho back country. The '8 is an excellent short field airplane, after some experience that is.