Mer

I'm New Here
I have a stock RV4 which has no air filter, I have the air filter kit sold by Vans but without modifying the cowl it won't fit. I really don't want to do a cowl mod, has anyone undertaken this?

Filter

I have the exact same issue. I am doing alot of work on my airplane and I don't see any easy way of installing the filter without modifying the cowling. My kit is an early version that requires you to cut the filter.

My RV8 had a filter that didn't require a filter mod but I don't know if the 4 is the same or my kit is the older version?? It is a lot of work but I have decided at least for me I want a filter.

This is a fairly straight forward mod that I wont say is easy but is not to difficult. Vans sells or used to sell a new scoop that could be installed for this mod depending on the type cowl you had. In the case of the old style cowls you would cut off the old scoop, install the air box and fit the new scoop to the cowl around the new air box. Once fitted you would glue ( resin ) and cleco the scoop in place. After drying sand down the edges add fiberglass layups, sand and fill for a smooth finish. I have done this on 3 RV's with great results . Of course this is major surgery on your lower cowl and as such will require the lower cowl to be repainted. Good luck.
Ryan

Serial Numbers

My 4 is older also.

The cowl has an integrated hard foam at the intake and I would to change it.

Would Mer and Steve send their serial numbers, I wonder how old their's are? Mine is 2439.

Jim

My 4 is older also.

The cowl has an integrated hard foam at the intake and I would to change it.

Would Mer and Steve send their serial numbers, I wonder how old their's are? Mine is 2439.

Jim

Serial #'s wont help determine anything. The main factor is when the finish kit was purchased. A very early kit might have been worked on for 15 years before purchasing a finish kit. That could result in receiving a later version cowling.

As already mentioned, what you will need is one of THESE

One off FAB...

I have a stock RV4 which has no air filter, I have the air filter kit sold by Vans but without modifying the cowl it won't fit. I really don't want to do a cowl mod, has anyone undertaken this?

Mer,
Good first post, a question.
Answer: Yes, many have. In fact every RV4 built before 1995 (including mine) had to fabricate their own Air Box as Van's FAB wasn't invented yet. The bottom line is that with the early vinylester cowls you either need to fabricate a Ram Air Box (as I did) or cut/paste a new scoop on your cowl. My Ram Air is still working well after 15 years.

The following thread covers it pretty well.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=27971&highlight=RV4+fab

"There are no new threads, only new members..."
Smokey

www.fly-4-life.com

Last edited:
Jim
My serial #is 818, it was completed in 1991, I have a plan to make an air box I'll let you know how it works

Just for reference, I'm helping a guy finish Kit# 124...I think, don't recall exactly. yes it's old and has a cessna looking air filter stuffed in the cowl, which might change