RV8R999

Well Known Member
I'm using the Van's supplied fuel senders connected to a Dynon SkyView EMS. I calibrated both tanks in a level attitude but since I've never seen anything less than 14 gals in either tank when on the ground despite running both to about 5 gallons each side. Is this normal for a T/W -8 to indicate this way on the ground? I visually check my fuel during preflight with calibrated tube and also have my FF calibrated to within .2 gal per tank so no issues there. Just wondering.

Thx

Fuel level will never be accurate and will always show higher levels with the tail on the ground because the float is in the rear of the tank.
Gauges must be calibrated with the aircraft in level flight attitude.

Also, due to the dihedral of the wings and the inboard position of the senders, you'll probably burn off 5 gallons or so on each side before the senders show any movement at all.

On a typical flight, I'm well into the second hour of flight before the fuel needles move off the pegs.

I usually fly a 1/2 hour on the first tank, then alternate an hour a side between tank switches.

arm potentiometer in the fuel gauge...

the float arm attachment on the sensor is spring force loaded against the thin raised fingers that form the potentiometer... there can be considerable drag at the contact point that can keep the float from moving easily... try tapping against the sensor with your fingers inside of the wing root to see if it moves... in flight i find that there is sufficient general vibration and movement for the floats to read accurately. on the ground while taxiing they can get stuck in an obviously incorrect position.

This is correct. The tank levels will change based on where the tail is. Our EFIS's take this into account and allow you to calibrate a ground value and an air value for fuel tanks. Then they are accurate in both cases.

Mine do not seem to be too accurate in flight either while in a level attitude. I mostly go by fuel flow computations.