647jc

Well Known Member
I installed a basic Vans fuel selector and now have about 35 hours on my RV-9A. The fuel selector seems to be much stiffer now than before I first put fuel in the aircraft and the stiffness does not seem to be improving over time (3 months). Perhaps the stiffness is caused by the cold (below 50 degrees) fuel making the internal nylon valve stem hard or perhaps it just needs more time to ‘break-in’. Maybe the valve is defective and needs replacing? What have others experienced with the standard Vans fuel selector? Does the stiffness eventually get better, does it vary with temperature?

I know, I know how great the Andair fuel selector is but I don’t have one and don’t plan on buying one in the near future.

Last edited:
I have a Vans selector available if you need it. Never installed...

pm or call 7oh2 two 78 zero 273

Joe,

It sounds like it is time to buy another Van's fuel valve before your current one breaks in flight.

What you just found is the reason I went with the Andair valve.

For those of you who are building and want to use the Van's valve, I suggest you use bulkhead fittings at the F-983B-L&R cover support ribs. That will make bending your fuel lines easier AND make converting to a different valve easier, should you elect to do so in the future.

Sticky Fuel Valve

In the old days Van's supplied the same fuel valve, but only it was medal to metal, instead of plastic to metal. Mine used to stick so badly that I was afraid the stem would break. Then I discovered a little trick. On every annual condition inspection I would put a very thin coating of fuel lube on the moving parts. PROBLEM SOLVED

Steve Barnes the Builders Coach

Mine used to stick so badly that I was afraid the stem would break. Then I discovered a little trick. On every annual condition inspection I would put a very thin coating of fuel lube on the moving parts. PROBLEM SOLVED

Steve Barnes the Builders Coach

I had the same experience as Steve. Mine got real hard to turn at 350 hours, but a dab of fuel lube on the nylon took care of the problem. Now it's so easy to turn that I almost can't feel the detents.
Leland

gotta stiffie?

same with my valve, real stiff regardless of temps.

90 hrs on the hobbs.

I wonder if there is a compatible lube that one can apply that will run down the shaft and penetrate enough to ease operation? Mouse milk, etc.
or will anything thin enought to run, just be washed away by the fuel?