mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Why do Van's still use security style labels on the parts they supply ?

It takes ages to get them off, wipe them down with thinners, get high, come down, realise you are only half way through and repeat......

Surely they could spend another cent and use releasable ones that leave no residue.

:mad:

Removal

I use the wife's hair dryer to heat the label on both sides--sticker comes off very easily. Then a quick swipe with some MEK and it's done! :D

Skyking902001
RV8
Emp done
Waiting for wings

i just use 90% rubbing alcohol works well. get it in the pharmacy for a dollar or two "isopropyl alcohol"

Last edited:
Yep, just removed some too with MEK. There about like all that blue vinyl and tank sealant. I needed to get the MEK back out as I was having fuel tank withdrawals. I do try to open the door or go outside. Also always wear nitrile gloves.

Change to what?

Can't we just petition Van's to change..........

The complaint you have, although perfectly valid, is not unique to Van's...the sticky labels that are used on most products are a pain to remove without using a solvent. It's one of my pet peeves, but that's what everyone uses, so that is what is available to buy and apply.

Are you suggesting that Van's purchase a non-standard label for their parts? That would be nice, but does such a label exist?

I can see the post now:

PLEASE help! In 2012, I bought a kit from 2011. the labels have fallen off many of the parts and could use some help identifying.

careful what you wish for;)

Ahhhh, I still recall the old days when the P/Ns were simply written on with Sharpie marker and the parts didn't have that damned, useless plastic covering either!

As an EAA TC I've seen several RVs with the labels still attached. Gasp! And they'll actually still fly!

I've also seen at least one with the plastic sheet still in place. Fortunately, it was on a very early inspection and only involved the VS spar. Easily fixed.

All in all, I'd much prefer Sharpie P/Ns and no plastic. Much, much easier for the builder.

Dave,

Yes, I have worked in the industry in years gone by and all labels are available in permanent or releasable depending on your requirement. The releasable ones are slightly more expensive because of the type of adhesive.

Hydro - I wish mine would drop off !

Vince - the only snag with Sharpies is that they need cleaning off before priming because they grin through most primer or paint.

Thankfully my better half loves to peel things... Peeling all that plastic is one of the most exciting things about the future building process for her. (I'm not kidding!)

I sell labels for a living. Well some one has to do it. (www.elmarkpkg.com)
Yes there are removable label stocks available but they do not always stick to every surface you want them to so most folks go with one super duper adhesive that stick too well !! We do get requests to supply labels that stick permanently to a product but can still be removed when they want to remove it. I confirm they want a kind of a non-permanent, permanent type of label and then they see the ridiculousnes in their request.

WD-40 works very well!!!

Last edited:
I use a heat gun first and then if no luck I use lighter fluid.
Worse case, I might use a plastic scraper first so the fluid
can soak in. Be sure to remark the part with a sharpie.
Tom