BGordon

Well Known Member
Howdy everyone,
I'm just curoius as to how stiff your aileron bellcranks where when they were first installed. I put mine together last night and they swivel, but not without having to use a little force. I did ream the bellcrank before I put the brass bushing in, but think I may need to pull it out and reem some more. Does anyone out there know how much tension should be in this? Will it maybe loosen up in time? Or is it supposed to be stiff?
thanks,
Brandon

what size reamers are needed to do this, i am about to place an order and don't have the plans on me

Bellcranks

Mine were tight, even after reaming. Steve Raddatz suggested correction. Eventually got 'em right with an abrasive slurry and honing with battery powered drill. They finished with no play or slop but easy almost frictionless movement. Hope yours do too!

I would think that there should be as close to zero friction in these as possible. Mine certainly are essentially frictionless. I agree with Vic, check the bolts. Also make sure that the bushing is the proper length (slightly longer than the crank weldment) - if it's too short, you will have friction.

greg

We had problems with one of ours being too stiff. There was some distortion where the weld for the center support bracket was. Tried to ream and polish with no help. Van's sent us a new one. It worked like a champ.