BigJohn

Well Known Member
Searched the forum on this but no hits. My sticks are not quite parallel (straight up and down). They work fine but it seems a little odd. Anybody else seen this, or attempted to correct it with pushrod adjustments?

Hey John - -

I corrected mine while building. Put the 'lock pin' in place, then adjust so they are both about correct.

John Bender

Yep, mine look like they are not correct either. Passenger one seems to be off the most but I have not checked them with a square yet nor attempted any correction.

mine are the same

I noted the same while building- did everything as per the instructions. I left them, as I figured there must be some reason for this. I have flown for quite a number of hours now and it is not noticeable when flying.

Jeff

See "Flaperon Rigging" topic

Hi John,

I initiated some discussion on stick centreing under this topic.

Cheers...Keith

My 2 cents worth here.

What plane are you building a 12?

Are you talking about fore and aft? This is minor.

Side to side...
I built a 7A and struggled to make mine parallel and perpendicular. It turns out that the sticks exit off center from the seat and I would have preferred to have them slightly angled, to center between my legs and not press to one side. Check that the sticks center in front of the seat in your plane.

Just saying.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses...

The misalignment I was talking about was side to side. Fore and aft is fine. The other thing that bothered me is that the left stick contacts the edge of the opening where the stick emerges, when deflected full right. It touches about the same time as the control hits the stop, enough to wear the paint off the weldment.

Anyhow, I removed the cover under the seat today and readjusted the push rod ends so that with the flaperon mechanism locked in place with the locking bolt, both sticks are vertical within a degree. That satisfied my sense of athetics. However the left stick still contacted the edge of the opening with full right deflection. Called Van's, and they agreed that that is not desireable and agreed it would be permissable to file off 1/16 inch from the side of the metal opening, which I did.

I think the issue was probably due to a slight variation in the stick weldment. Anyway, problem solved. I repaired the paint wound with the weldment touch-up bottle from Van's.

Sticks converge with flaperons deployment.

John,

You may want to check your stick clearance with the flaperons lowered, as this moves the tops of the sticks closer together.

Or is it further apart. I forget.

-Dave

Last edited: