lr172

Well Known Member
My altimeter seems to be a bit stickier than it used to be. Most times it tracks well, but sometimes there is just not enough vibration to get it to track properly. It seems that it may just need some cleaning and oiling. Has anyone done this successfully? It is a backup to my EFIS.

Thanks,

Larry

My altimeter seems to be a bit stickier than it used to be. Most times it tracks well, but sometimes there is just not enough vibration to get it to track properly. It seems that it may just need some cleaning and oiling. Has anyone done this successfully? It is a backup to my EFIS.

Common problem in gliders, which don't have engine vibration. Tap the glass to get an accurate reading.

Altimeters are pretty delicate. I had a bad one four years ago, and the quote from the instrument servicing shop was greater than the cost of importing a brand new one from China. I installed a new USA-manufactured unit instead, and I expect it'll outlast the aircraft.

I think putting oil into an altimeter would be a very bad idea. I think they only want dry lubricants, if they need any lubrication at all.

- mark