trib

Well Known Member
How did you decide where to cut off your control stick? Do you cut it so it just clears the instrument panel on forward stick? Do you make it so the grip is at a natural height when you arm is resting on your leg? Is there a standard amount to cut off? I'm looking for some advice before making the cut, since you can't add it back once it's gone! :)

Stick Length

Tim,
On my new RV-8, I cut the bottom of the instrument panel up about 1 1/2" to allow me to use a longer stick. I also welded an 'S' into the top of the stick to move the grip aft about 2". The RV-8 stick is too short, and too far forward for me if I don't do this. On my previous bird (RV-6), I made the stick with grip just clear the bottom of the panel. I fact, if I had my thumb on top of the stick, it wouldn't clear the panel bottom. I never actually came close to getting the stick under the front of the panel while in flight, but I would never build my stick too long to clear it. Basically, make the stick as long as you can to clear all obstructions in the cockpit (with grip on of course). If you ever plan to fly formation - the longer, the better.....

Scott

The pic is my 6A with a two inch extension on the bottom of the panel. The stick just clears the panel and throttle, since my thumb won't be on top of the stick. The passenger stick clears the panel with thumb on top.

With the type of stick I've got, the face with trim buttons are angled towards me. I just sat in the cockpit and oriented it for the most natural angle/feel.

This is also my second stick, which required additional cutting off of the original, because of it's longer base length. At least if you cut too short, there are always sticks that can make up some difference.....up to a point.

As to control and feel, I'd say that my stick length is perfection. Others think the same.

L.Adamson --- RV6A