lucaperazzolli

Well Known Member
Hi, on my RV8 I need to lower my panel (7/8) to accept my instruments configuration.

Have you extended the 8 panel ?

Cut your stick ?

Please tell me your opinion and advices (photos welcome).

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi Luke,

If it were me, I would do everything possible to keep the panel where it is because the stick is already a little too low and forward. My stick is cut so that it just barely clears the panel and it feels lower than I would like. Are you sure that you can't rearrange the instruments to fit in the standard panel?

Just my 0.02 Euros.

It seems in the forum that a lot of people cut the rv8 stick just 1/2'' to clear the panel without problem, I've a little bit of confusion ....

Luca,

I strongly recommend you find a way to sit in a completed RV-8 before you decide to lower the bottom edge of the panel. Adjust the seat cushions so you are sitting at a height to give good visibility over the nose, put your feet on the rudder pedals, your hand on the stick, and move the controls through the full range. I suspect you will conclude that you would not want your hand any lower than it is.

Luca,
I'm definitely with Kevin on this. You do not want to lower your instrument panel!
Also, I see on your website 2 panel layouts. The one with the SL40 on the lower right will not work. The radio is too long to place that low.
I suggest you not cut your panel until you have the trays for the SL40 and GTX 327. The SL40 rear tray will rest on the gear tower cross brace.
Then underneath it the 327 transponder will fit. The cutout for these to radios will be about 3 inches high and start at 1.75 inches from the bottom of the panel. Then your intercom and ELT will fit below the transponder as shown on the top panel picture.
Good Luck,

Last edited:
Luca,

I just looked at the two panel layouts on your web site. It looks like you could move everything up quite a bit, as the pictures show a lot of space between the tops of all the instruments and the fixed part of the panel.

Also, the hole that the Dynon D-10A needs is much smaller than its face (assuming you are not planning to flush mount it). You could probably move the tray for the hand held GPS much closer to the bottom of the D-10A.

Of course, perhaps the panel layouts on your site are out of date, and you have some other grand plans for your panel.

Good luck,

Panel extended layout - my first cut

Hi,

thanks a lot for your reply, it's really important to me seeing that.

Sorry, my website has an old layout, this is my cut (it's only a sample - I've a good friend with a water-jet).

This is a template @ 95%, big doubt on the extended height and relative stick cutting ........

Let me know your opinion

Thanks a lot in advance

firstcut.jpg

Luke,
I have a friend who built an RV-8, and successfully put a "S" curved bend back toward seat that really was nice. Allowed him to rest his hand/arm in his lap, was displaced aft from the panel, and did not conflict with movement. The vertical tip of the stick was approx. 4-6 inches displaced aft from original position. Sorry, I have no pictures.

Luke,
Don't you have the wrong ASI for an RV-8? Your markings seem to be the standard markings for the RV-3,4 & 6.

I agree, you don't want to cut your stick any lower then you already have to for the stock dash. It's really low as it is, but you get used to it.

If you do feel you have to lower your dash for your configuration then go with an "S" bend stick like Terry mentions. I have not personally flown with one but have seen it. The pilot who flew the plane with the stick configured that way loved it. He sold that plane to a guy who moniters this site so maybe he'll chime in.

As I recall it was six inches back and six inches up. The other drawback to this method is... if you have a big belly it won't work!!

Ted

Mel

Wow, you're right !

I checked my order, my invoice, the box of vsi all of them are right but inside the box there was another vsi.

Thanks a lot for your eagleview

Even with the S-Bend in the stick, the stick will pass underneath the panel when the rigging is per plans. (granted, if you pushed the stick that far forward in flight, you'd better have your straps REALLY tight!)

I personally would not extend th panel on the -8 any lower than Van's design. Your panel isn't that full Luke - you can tighten things up a bit and make it all fit. Unless your seat cushions are really, really short (and your body is extra tall so that you can see out, the stick is going to be too short for comfort, and you might very well not like it. Stick height on the -8 is already a compromise.

Paul

When you do the S bend six inches back and six inches up it stays in front of the dash, does not go under. This is why if you have a big belly it won't work!!

This is a different S bend than the that was being done by the guy in Mukelteo, WA.

I don't know of anyone offering it. Only know of a couple of guys who did it on their own.

Ted

Last edited:
ok

Really thanks for your help.

I don't like the idea to do the s-bend in the stick. I'll work with the standard panel height.

I'll try to tighten the instruments in this manner:

- Dynon D10a : flush but on top of the panel (with a little modify to the flush mount)

- ASI (Right one) + Altimeter : a little bit up and close to Dynon

- 695 : most bottom available & a little bit to right (1/8 and file the right side frame panel)

- Engine instruments : up in line with 695

- radio & xpdr : up leaving 1/8 clearance @ the gear tower cross brace.

I'll let you know

Luca