Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
I have a teak stick grip. I think VANS sell the same one. Two questions:

1. It has a trim, PTT and AP disconnect switch set into it, secured with red silicon. The silicon does not adhere well to either the very smooth plastic OR the oily teak. What glue works successfully to ensure the switches don't work out?

2. The grip was a very tight fit on the stick to the point I was not sure how to get it back off. Now at the end of winter due to temperature / humidity / other it is much freer. How have others attached it? One idea is a screw to pin it in place, but I do worry the screw could touch the wires inside and chafe over time.

All ideas/experience welcome. Thanks.

Hey Steve,
I have the teak grip on my -4, with ptt and elevator trim. I used clear RTV to hold the switches in place...so far so good. I did not want to use anything stronger in case I needed to remove/replace them later. My grip seems to be the opposite of yours as it fit quite loosely. Once in place I drilled a pilot hole through the grip and stick tube, but not all the way through the grip. I then tapped the stick for a #6 allen head screw. I recessed the grip so the screw fits flush with the grip. I also used some clear RTV here as well. Grip is now tight to the stick. I used the same 5 strand wire for the trim and ptt as was supplied by MAC for the trim...pretty tough stuff. Also where the wire exits the bottom of the stick I used a rubber gromet so its a very tight fit and I don't think there is any movement of this wire against the set screw. 380 hrs so far, no issues.