RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Hello,
I have a pair of Infinity stick grips for my RV-8 and was wondering if any of you had any good installation pictures. Specifically I'm interested in how the cable exits each stick and how it is routed. Also, what type of connection did you use (i.e Molex, terminal/barrier strip, or something else)? Both of my sticks will share similar functions and consequently need a way to connect each of the wires to both sticks. Also did you make your connections to allow the sticks to be removed? Any photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jerry

Vague connections

Jerry,
I did want you paln but on a RV-7.
The left stick is welded to the whole control system so the wire loom just comes out the bottom.
The right Stick is removable so I cut a hole in the stick just above where it enters the female section Sorry no pics but could take some if you want.
I also put what some called a "Grandson" switch in which isolates the Right stick. Actually it Arms/disarms each stick so only one is active. It does not of couurse effect PTT.
Pete.

Thanks Peter and Renee! Anyone else have photos or more info about their installations? I appreciate your help! I'm looking forward to getting these sticks wired up next week! :)

Jerry

RV8Squaz said:
.........Anyone else have photos or more info about their installations? .........Jerry
Jerry,
Though the wiring is incomplete as the time this photo was taken, it does show how a terminal board was used to centralize the various functions the Infinity grip has prewired into it. In my case only the PTT, the china hat, and the flaps were hooked up. If in the future I decide to add other functions to the grip, wiring will be simplified by tapping into the bottom of the terminal board at an appropriate location.
img001735az3.jpg

Jerry,

I only did my front stick so I can't give you any advice on how to connect or route the rear cable.

For my front stick, I stole my setup from Larry at BowenAero.com. I just checked his site and it doesn't look like he has those pictures in his archives anymore. So I'll post some of my own.

I cut a slot in the lower portion of my stick for the cable exit. I had heard some discussion on the RV-List about this hole weakening the stick, so I tried to keep it to a minimum size. No room for a snap bushing, and you couldn't use one anyway because the cable is too thick to make a 90 deg. bend. And since I wasn't using all of the connections in my Infinity grip, I removed all the wires I could from the bundle to make it as thin as possible. I then packed RTV in the hole where the cable exits to serve as the anti-chafe medium.

For a connector, I got the same Amp plug and receptacle that Larry used from Mouser.com. Stock numbers are: 571-2061521 and 571-2058393. I pondered how I was going to secure the cable and plug as it went from the stick to the gear tower but in the end I just left them lying on the floor. It doesn't seem to want to go anywhere and it is not visible from any angle that you normally look into the cockpit from.

Thanks for the second round of pictures, They were also very helpful. I sure do appreciate this group!

Jerry