morganjp

Well Known Member
I was buying fuel for the RV-6A at an airport south of Atlanta last week when a guy flew in in a gyrocopter. After some discussion about the gyrocopter (I'll stick with my RV) he looks at the RV and the discussion turns to a RV crash at his home airport (Monticello, GA) a year or so ago. The crash was covered on this site but nothing to indicate the cause, The pilot and his young son augered in on takeoff with the plane producing full power. The gyrocopter pilot told me that they found the pilot's cellphone stuck in the floorpan well for the stick lodged against the stick!!

I have stick boots on my plane that I thought I was buying for looks.

MAYBE NOT!

If you don't have them then get them. Very inexpensive insurance against a freak acident.

John Morgan

Ordering today...

John,

This was actually on my "list" of things to get. Now it is #1 on the list! Thanks!

Just e mailed and called Abby - will have these ordered today! I really appreciate your post.

Just another way that VAF is improving our RV lives!

Everything is there for a reason

I'd never even considered that stick boots were just for looks, I'd always considered them for this specific purpose.

Enough control-fouling accidents have occurred to suggest that an aircraft without them isn't really airworthy.

- mark

just watch out with the boots too. if there is a deep enough fold, something can still get in there to inhibit the flight control. i know. a control check and visual check if you have a passenger (female) will help. they seem to carry extra stuff. :D

Although our aircraft don't officially have MELs, I consider stick boots to be on my minimum equipment list. It would be way too easy for a stubby flashlight (or any other small, hard item for that matter) to drop down there and ruin your day.

I would be interested to see the official report on the incident you cited. If anyone can find it please post here. My search on the NTSB site came up empty. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

John,

This was actually on my "list" of things to get. Now it is #1 on the list! Thanks!

Just e mailed and called Abby - will have these ordered today! I really appreciate your post.

Just another way that VAF is improving our RV lives!

who's abby? someone makes these for the 4?