eddier

So where can a guy get his control stick bent these days? (no wise cracks please ;))

I saw some old threads about some guy that was doing it - but he has since decided to stop.

Thanks

eddier

Bent Control Stick

I am also looking for a bent control stick. I now have 48 hours on my RV-8 and I really believe it will be a better aircraft with a bent stick (front cockpit). There must be someone out there willing to make up a gob of them. I'll do it myself if someone comes up with the step-by-step.

Keith Vasey
N888KV
s/n 81327

Me too.

I have delayed installation of the front stick for just this reason. So if someone wants to take it on, I am also a potential customer.

Ask Jay.....

Get in touch with Jay Pratt @ RV Central (and of course he is also a contributor on these forums).

I recall Jay asking this same question a year or so ago, and I think he found someone offering them?

C-ya,

Just got an email from a bud that said he removed his bent stick...said it was uncomfortable in the flare.

I've never actually sat and tried one on, any input?

Joe

Just got an email from a bud that said he removed his bent stick...said it was uncomfortable in the flare.

I've never actually sat and tried one on, any input?

Joe

Not sure ... I thought it was a panel clearance situation for forward movement ??

Not sure ... I thought it was a panel clearance situation for forward movement ??
You would need a very large bend to provide panel clearance at full forward stick. If you had that large a bend, it is possible that the stick may hit the belly in the full aft position.

Given the RV-8 design, I think the only way to achieve panel clearance at full forward stick, without having issues at full aft stick, is to shorten the stick so it can go under the bottom edge of the panel. I did that, and I am happy with the results when flying.

You would need a very large bend to provide panel clearance at full forward stick. If you had that large a bend, it is possible that the stick may hit the belly in the full aft position.

Given the RV-8 design, I think the only way to achieve panel clearance at full forward stick, without having issues at full aft stick, is to shorten the stick so it can go under the bottom edge of the panel. I did that, and I am happy with the results when flying.

Kevin,
I'm glad you chimed in.
Had a fuzzy feeling about that.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Kevin,
I'm glad you chimed in.
Had a fuzzy feeling about that.
But, keep in mind that I did not try a bent stick in my RV-8. I have offered an opinion, but it could be wrong.

I do believe that no matter how you achieve it, that it is important to be able to achieve at least the minimum up and down elevator deflections that Van recommends, with a pilot at the controls. If someone can make this happen with a bent stick, and they find the position comfortable for all normal flight operations, then I have no concerns about it.

I agree with Kevin that the only way to assure that you don't hit the panel is to SHORTEN the stick - I can't imagine bending it enough to clear the panel at full length, and still have room for the pilot. Now as to the bend - it depends on how it fits you. I tried the straight stick (shortened) while sitting in the workshop making airplane noises, and then had a bent stick made (when you could get that done). The bent stick fit ME better. You can do mock ups with conduit and a bender....

Paul

I bent my own using RVWOODY's drawings as a guide. He was kind enough to leave the drawing up so it's pretty easy to replicate. You'll need a torch to heat the stick till it glows and conduit benders that fit the front and rear sticks. They're different diameters but I cant remember what they are offhand. You can rent the benders from a tool rental, I used Home Depot. Without the benders or the torch you will crimp the stick on the inside of the bend.

Burn the powder coat off and mark the distance to the bend with chalk. Adjust the distance if needed for the grip you will be using, I have Infinity grips and the upper bend had to be a bit lower on the stick. Clamp the stick in a vice, heat it up and bend carefully. Much easier if you have help with the torch.

I highly recommend you follow Paul's advice and try the bends with conduit FIRST. Conduit is easy to bend and cheap. Install whatever seats you will be using and check the clearance with both the panel AND the cushions. My first attempt was just perfect until I installed the front seat. At full aft stick the bend was buried in the seat. So, I had to take the stick out and adjust the bends. With the conduit you can get it perfect and then use it as a pattern.

Stick Bending

I havent got near that far on my RV8 yet but I have had on occasion had to bend large diameter tubing before. If you fill it with sand for the bending process it should limit the amount of crimping and lead to a smoother bend.
Tom W

I'm with Tom on the sand

I've done quite a lot of this in another life and if I needed a nice clean bend would have extra length tubing filled and tamped down the sand and either crimped or welded the end closed so the sand could not be displaced/compressed. At that point you are bending a solid object and you can get very smooth results. Cut to length and Bob's your Uncle!

After going through about 3 different revisions, I have settled with a miter cut and welded version. Never could get the bent version to fit properly.

With the cut and welded version I get full fwd and aft deflection with comfortable height. However, I am limited on full aft-left and aft-right though. A minimal issue only when taxiing in high winds.